Sign in to follow this  

2001 yz125 kickstart wont budge

Hi, I have a 2001 yz125 and i was riding and everything seemed normal and then it bogged out and i tried giving it gas before it died but it only made a deep sound, so i held the clutch and it died and coasted to a stop. So i went to try to start it again and the kickstart wont go down at all even with all my weight on it. If you know what this us please help!

Sounds like it's seized. Did you remember to mix your gas?

If you put it in gear and push it can you move it? If not it is seized. If you can push it and hear the piston move, maybe a tooth broke off on the clutch side and jammed the kick start gear?

If you put it in gear and push it can you move it? If not it is seized. If you can push it and hear the piston move, maybe a tooth broke off on the clutch side and jammed the kick start gear?

Its probably seized, if it died like that

Its probably seized, if it died like that

I cant move it when its in gear and i called the shop i go to and they said it is probably the piston. Does this sound right?

When a top-end seizes, it doesn't "bog down and then quit", it stops turning almost instantly.

Sounds like the crank is done.

Isnt a slow bog to death a loss of compression?

My friend had the same year and it did the exact same thing. Found out It was a broken piston skirt.

Yeah im guessing its along the lines of that

It wasn't that bad. Amazingly he saved the crank and the cylander wasn't scored too bad. He just had to hone it out and do a topend.

This same thing happened to me yesterday, sadly this is my first ever dirt bike and i have no experience so this will definitely be a task for me. I'm doing all the research i can before i start taking shit apart. I still have to assess the damage once i do that i'll probably post up my project from finish to start so i may get help along the way and possibly inspire or help others to do the same as me :)

You could try to bump start it. If the engine turns over/runs than you are looking at an issue with the kickstart gears. My guess is you had a top end siezure. This probably means cylinder needs re boring replacing, new piston, rings. ABOVE ALL, inspect your jetting, and air filter/boot before you reassemble or the same thing could easily happen with the new parts.

• Like 1

Pull the exhaust off and have a look at the piston .. I wouldnt try to turn it over incase by luck your just out a piston.. Dont want to bend the connecting rod trying to turn over a stuck piston.

This same thing happened to me yesterday, sadly this is my first ever dirt bike and i have no experience so this will definitely be a task for me. I'm doing all the research i can before i start taking shit apart. I still have to assess the damage once i do that i'll probably post up my project from finish to start so i may get help along the way and possibly inspire or help others to do the same as me :)

If you are in so cal, I'm available to help.

• Like 1

You could try to bump start it. If the engine turns over/runs than you are looking at an issue with the kickstart gears. My guess is you had a top end siezure. This probably means cylinder needs re boring replacing, new piston, rings. ABOVE ALL, inspect your jetting, and air filter/boot before you reassemble or the same thing could easily happen with the new parts.

From my research sounds like your right bit i have yet to take it apart and look at it, i have recently cleaned my air filter and cleaned my carb so i dont believe that was the cause of the seizure. My theory is that the top end was worn down( being its a 2003 and never been rebuilt) and at the time i was riding it, i about had it pinned and was reving pretty high then all of a sudden it died and i was just rolling lol was saddest moment of my life mixed the gas and oil right on spec so i think it was just worn down and it finally gave out. Im worried that it's more than the top end though. im worried that its stuck down below due to broken piston or some shit falling from the top into the bottom :( this will suck i have no idea how to rebuild the bottom end it looks way too complicated. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope its just my cylinder/piston 

Gotcha. 1 other thing to check would be your cooling system, if you were really low on coolant or had a blocked passage it would cause your bike to overheat and possibly sieze. Also, if your clutch was stuck it would be really hard to kick the bike over and it would roll forward, ensure your clutch is operational. But, I bet your right, 13 years is a long time for a top end. Time to replace gaskets, pistons, rings, and hopefully not cylinder. I really doubt anything fell into the bottom end, unless a chunk of your piston skirt broke clean off. Also, check for any air leaks in your crank case (this could cause lean condition and seizure in 2 strokes).

Gotcha. 1 other thing to check would be your cooling system, if you were really low on coolant or had a blocked passage it would cause your bike to overheat and possibly sieze. Also, if your clutch was stuck it would be really hard to kick the bike over and it would roll forward, ensure your clutch is operational. But, I bet your right, 13 years is a long time for a top end. Time to replace gaskets, pistons, rings, and hopefully not cylinder. I really doubt anything fell into the bottom end, unless a chunk of your piston skirt broke clean off. Also, check for any air leaks in your crank case (this could cause lean condition and seizure in 2 strokes).

Okay thanks good tips ill research on how to inspect my cooling system and make sure the passages are clear as far as the level of coolant its filled to the cap and whats weird is the bike didnt seam un ordinarily hot when it broke isnt the bike supposed to smoke a little when the top end seizes ? i checked my clutch and it is working too