Sign in to follow this  

DRZ SM keyless gas cap

Rad - you do nice work. I like your tank bag mount. What bag is that?

Thanks Noble... the bag is just a small canvas fanny pack. Now I have a small leather one that has worked out pretty well. The sun tends to take it's toll on the canvas versions.

Zeta also makes an anodized aluminium keyless cap. I've got a blue one I'm not using or hit up Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply for one.

I liked the shape and the dual pockets of the bag in the picture.  I'll just keep an eye out for something I like.

Yup, all my black nylon stuff is faded gray now

That might be true....

But what is a more likely deterrent? These guys didn't worry about the gas cap when they took it. If the steering was locked chances are the would have moved on.

If they are going to steal the bike I doubt a steering lock is going to deter them! Just watch a couple YouTube videos of just how easy it is to do it!
  • Like 2

Zeta also makes an anodized aluminium keyless cap. I've got a blue one I'm not using or hit up Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply for one.

The Zeta is a nice piece but doesn't eliminate the key. Thanks anyway.

That might be true....

But what is a more likely deterrent? These guys didn't worry about the gas cap when they took it. If the steering was locked chances are the would have moved on.

The steering lock was on. They broke it then stole the bike. As npm said, they are not difficult to break.

The amount of damage done to the cap and the top of the tank suggests they made every effort to get it open - unsuccessfully.

Another thing to keep in mind is that thieves can't torch your bike unless they get into the petrol tank - at least not as well or as easily.

No key on this one.....

So this Zeta cap fits on your drz 400sm steel tank? Can you post a pic of the underneath?

The steering lock was on. They broke it then stole the bike. As npm said, they are not difficult to break.

The amount of damage done to the cap and the top of the tank suggests they made every effort to get it open - unsuccessfully.

Another thing to keep in mind is that thieves can't torch your bike unless they get into the petrol tank - at least not as well or as easily.

Wow.....that sucks man. Glad you got the bike back!

• Like 1

So this Zeta cap fits on your drz 400sm steel tank? Can you post a pic of the underneath?

The Zeta cap replaces the OEM cast cap on the S/SM. Just remove the screws from the cap holder, eliminate the lock guts, and attach the cap holder to the new cap. Attach the vent/vent line to the top of the cap and route it to suit. The Zeta part number is ZE87-003E.

1405012550342.jpg

• Like 2

My bike was stolen with next to no fuel in it. They rode it a short distance and dumped it as it ran out of fuel. Beforehand, they destroyed the tank trying (unsuccessfully) to get the locked cap off. Had they got the cap off, I suspect I would have been returned a piece of junk instead of a bike that had been ridden for a short distance by these *&%^###*&. If you feel safe from thieves, then okay. If not . . .

i should stop filling my tank up all the way every 20 miles. haha..

• Like 1

i should stop filling my tank up all the way every 20 miles. haha..

Kind of like when you you first get our license and that's all you can afford