Sign in to follow this  

Is the DRZ400 right for me?

Hey guys,

Just joined this site a few minutes ago, so needless to say this is my first post. I realize this topic has been brought up quite a bit but it'd be awesome if you all gave your opinion to my potential situation and what you would do.

So I have a Suzuki GS500 now (my first bike I have owned and only bike I have ridden), which I bought to get used to the road and give myself a basic understanding and feel for how to ride. I am an adventurous person and am real interested in bumping down some banged up dirt roads and light off road trails in the area, but I would also cruise to work with the bike frequently. I am really torn between the DRZ or a klr650/dr650.

I have tried to do some reading on the DRZ and other options I should take into consideration, but for some reason I keep on going back to the DRZ; maybe for these reasons:

I won't be doing any highway riding. I like the simplicity of the bike and the aftermarket parts available (and price of parts). I have no need for crazy power (although I'd like to have some oomph). I would like the mpg it offers as compared to a 650. It's lighter than the 650's (even though it's still heavy for a 400). It will be cheaper to purchase and maintain (I presume).

When I commute to work, it is 17 miles. Maybe about 7-10 miles of roads that will be 50-60mph. Will the DRZ perform just fine for this? I am willing to spend a little change to switch out the sprocket to run a little smoother at higher speeds.

Please chime in any knowledge you have here!

Much appreciated and many thanks.

Kyle

400 sounds like the ticket. The DR 650 would be fine as well and honestly, probably slightly less maintenance due to being just aircooled. The KLR is basically a street bike capable of some 2 tracking and easy trails with more hardpack terrain. Get in the sand with it and you will hate life until you hit the road again.

400 - 50/50 off road / pavement

Dr650 .- 25/75 off road / pavement

Klr - 5/95 off road / pavement

The 400S will cruise along easily at 55-60 for a few miles bone stock. No gearing change needed.

Hey guys,

Just joined this site a few minutes ago, so needless to say this is my first post. I realize this topic has been brought up quite a bit but it'd be awesome if you all gave your opinion to my potential situation and what you would do.

So I have a Suzuki GS500 now (my first bike I have owned and only bike I have ridden), which I bought to get used to the road and give myself a basic understanding and feel for how to ride. I am an adventurous person and am real interested in bumping down some banged up dirt roads and light off road trails in the area, but I would also cruise to work with the bike frequently. I am really torn between the DRZ or a klr650/dr650.

I have tried to do some reading on the DRZ and other options I should take into consideration, but for some reason I keep on going back to the DRZ; maybe for these reasons:

I won't be doing any highway riding. I like the simplicity of the bike and the aftermarket parts available (and price of parts). I have no need for crazy power (although I'd like to have some oomph). I would like the mpg it offers as compared to a 650. It's lighter than the 650's (even though it's still heavy for a 400). It will be cheaper to purchase and maintain (I presume).

When I commute to work, it is 17 miles. Maybe about 7-10 miles of roads that will be 50-60mph. Will the DRZ perform just fine for this? I am willing to spend a little change to switch out the sprocket to run a little smoother at higher speeds.

Please chime in any knowledge you have here!

Much appreciated and many thanks.

Kyle

if u don't mind the seat height, drz400 is all u need

I ride a street legal DRZ400e with stock gearing and the ride into town is 4-5 miles of 50-60 mph and it handles it just fine. Despite it's the 400 is a more a dirt bike you can ride on the street where as the 650s mentioned are street bikes you can ride on in the dirt with varying degrees of success. The dr650 being far more capable than the klr.

My DRZ is used for commuting, trail riding, and dual sport adventures …. it will get you there and back!

IMG_4598_zps1c264dc2.jpg

• Like 2

I really appreciate your help guys!

To answer a couple questions, my height is about 6' and price range is hopefully under 4k, unless I find a real good deal I may spend up to 5.

Would changing out the gearing to run better at high speeds be beneficial for the longevity of the bike?

Thanks

Kyle

I'm 6-3 and found my happy place with a Scotts Top Clamp, Tusk Risers, Pastrana Pro-Tapers, and a re-worked seat by Fishers .....

• Like 1

I really appreciate your help guys!

To answer a couple questions, my height is about 6' and price range is hopefully under 4k, unless I find a real good deal I may spend up to 5.

Would changing out the gearing to run better at high speeds be beneficial for the longevity of the bike?

Thanks

Kyle

Changing the stock gearing may change the longevity of the bike comparing numbers like 40,000 to 50,000 miles.  The DRZ will easily handle your commute.  It has more power then your GS500.  If you lean more towards comfort look at the DR/KLR.  If you lean more towards excitement look at the DRZ.  Basically all motorcycles are fun.

And an E model is a whole bunch more fun!  Higher compression, pumper carb, free'er exhaust, hotter cam.  

Revs much quicker and harder than S/SM, want really good street with a little dirt ok, get a motard. 

This E modded motard beezz a blast.  :)

1461779_10152057203000719_2016324174_n_z

Edited by MindBlower

Like toad said, all motorcycles are fun, but I much rather commute on a 2 cylinder 500 than a single 400. What you need to understand is the drz will never be a great offroad bike nor a great street bike. If you can only have one bike it is a good compromise. Be warned it will suck $ out of you as addiction takes hold.

The stock 15/44 gearing on the s does 65mph very comfortable.

It sounds like the DRZ will definitely be the one for me. I just hope a good deal pops up for one.

Thanks so much for the help guys, I really appreciate it!