Sign in to follow this  

Riding footwear

Hi Guys,

i just bought my first bike and got my licence and purchased a new DRZ400E (australian version) with riding on trails and dirt/adventure and wont be my daily commute.

my question is what footwear would be most appropriate to be wearing. bear in mind i will most of the time be riding to and from the trails

should i be going for full shin boots or the normal ankle boots

thanks guys

Buy the best boots you can afford. I've got a pair of SG10s for trial riding, they're quite heavy but you get used to them eventually. You could go for trials boots, a bit lighter than full on motocross boots but still some protection.

Buy the best boots you can afford. I've got a pair of SG10s for trial riding, they're quite heavy but you get used to them eventually. You could go for trials boots, a bit lighter than full on motocross boots but still some protection.

Thanks Black-swan,

so trials boots are up to the shin?

is there any tech in boots that i should be looking out for?

Thanks Black-swan,

Buy motocross or enduro boots.

If you are riding on trails these are the safest... I've ridden in my steel blue work boots as well, but you risk damaging your foot pretty bad.

It also knackers those work boots pretty quick.

Thanks Black-swan,

Both trials and motocross boots are up to the shin, wouldn't recommend ankle boots for off or on road personally. Best thing to do would be to go to a local shop and try out the different boots. Trials boots don't have as much protection as motocross boots, but are much lighter.

The only problem with full on motocross boots is that you lose a lot of feeling for the rear brake and gear lever. I agree with BushPig that they would offer the best protection though. I've had a few crashes wearing my SG10s and they've protected me well from both the weight of the bike, the bike's chain and the terrain. 

If you can find last years stock you might be able to get a decent discount on the boots. Sidi, Gaerne, six six one, a stars are all good brands, just depends on your budget. Worthwhile reading some reviews too before buying.

As for tech, quality of the buckles, replaceable sole, ankle, toe, shin protection, how it fits...

• Like 1

New adventure boots that I'm testing out from Forma. So far, so good. But, I will say, Gaerne SG10 and 12 are wonderful off-road boots.

Not unlike my SIDI Discovery Rain. Worn them for week long street, all day dirt, and all day DS. They're a little bulky and they don't make them any more. They make an Adventure Rain that I'll probably look at if I ever wear these out.

Mike

I am on my 3rd set of boots. I'll just say, cheap boots will eventually cost more than premium boots. They don't protect your feet as well, the wear MUCH faster and aren't near as comfortable. I also ended up in Gaerne SG10's and I love them. They are heavy when walking around, but that feeling doesn't (at least for me) transfer to the way they feel while riding. Forma and Sidi also offer some pretty decent boots. 

There is another threat, where a guy just (basically) shattered his foot wearing cheap boots, he considered himself to be a really good rider. He'll be in an ankle cast for at least 6 weeks, probably longer and most likely needs surgery.

Just pony up and get some good quality "MX" boots and never look back.

• Like 2

Not unlike my SIDI Discovery Rain. Worn them for week long street, all day dirt, and all day DS. They're a little bulky and they don't make them any more. They make an Adventure Rain that I'll probably look at if I ever wear these out.

Mike

I like Sidi boots. But, the last pair, I couldn't wear. They seem to have very short insteps, so while they fit lengthwise, when I buckled up the boots, they put too much pressure on the tops of my feet. And, I don't have especially large feet. They have great feel on the controls, but hurt my feet.

You will really appreciate a great set of boots the first time that bike slams you on the ground.  By the way it will happen