Oil change question

Okay so I was buying some oil for my drz. But here's the deal. My walmart has Valvoline motorcycle oil (10w40) and Valvoline ATV oil (10w40) what is the difference? I mean our bike engine is more like a ATV then a real motorcycle, right?

Or is it the same oil just in a different labeled bottle? Hmm ?

Here's the ATV oil link..

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/15

Here's the Motorcycle oil link..

https://valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/13

You want an oil that meets the JASO MA standard, they both do. The Motorcycle oil there says it can be used in ATVs. I don't know much about ATV's, but if they have wet clutches it should be about the same.

I really think that they are the exact same oil bottled differently.

• Like 2

The motorcycle oil has more zinc/phosphorus and calcium/sodium than the ATV oil.

I changed out Valvoline ATV oil from my bike today.  There was a bit more fuzz on the magnets than I was expecting.  Shifting was never bad and was never that good either.

There were 1,600 km on the oil when I changed it.  I usually go 2,000 km but am about to go on a 5,000+ km trip so wanted fresh oil at the start.

Ian

The motorcycle oil has more zinc/phosphorus and calcium/sodium than the ATV oil.

I changed out Valvoline ATV oil from my bike today. There was a bit more fuzz on the magnets than I was expecting. Shifting was never bad and was never that good either.

There were 1,600 km on the oil when I changed it. I usually go 2,000 km but am about to go on a 5,000+ km trip so wanted fresh oil at the start.

Ian

So is it safe to use either one?

So is it safe to use either one?

I'm sure both are safe in that your engine won't explode if you use either oil.  I believe the motorcycle oil will be better for camshaft/bucket wear due to the higher concentration of zinc/phosphorus.

If I had a choice between ATV and motorcycle oil from the same manufacturer I'd go with the motorcycle oil.

Ian

The mc oil is a tad thicker, than the atv. why that is I don't know, or any differences in storage type chemicals added to the atv oil verses the mc oil. Pretty much either are usable.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

The mc oil is a tad thicker, than the atv. why that is I don't know, or any differences in storage type chemicals added to the atv oil verses the mc oil. Pretty much either are usable.

So 10w40 MC oil is thicker than 10w40 ATV oil?

Good to know :applause:

• Like 2

Okay so I was buying some oil for my drz. But here's the deal. My walmart has Valvoline motorcycle oil (10w40) and Valvoline ATV oil (10w40) what is the difference? I mean our bike engine is more like a ATV then a real motorcycle, right?

Or is it the same oil just in a different labeled bottle? Hmm ?

Here's the ATV oil link..

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/15

Here's the Motorcycle oil link..

https://valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/13

yes, your motorcycle needs engine oil. 

yes, those are both oil. 

if the clutch slips, dump the oil and try the other. it still slips, put rotella 15w40 in it and forget about oil threads for 40,000 miles. 

• Like 1

I called Valvoline about  6 months ago and asked the same question. The tech told me that the oils were not the same that  there are  different additives in the atv oil, and that you should use the motorcycle oil in motorcycles not the atv oil. Maybe if I call again I will get a different tech and a different answer. But that is what I was told.lol

• Like 2

I called Valvoline about 6 months ago and asked the same question. The tech told me that the oils were not the same that there are different additives in the atv oil, and that you should use the motorcycle oil in motorcycles not the atv oil. Maybe if I call again I will get a different tech and a different answer. But that is what I was told.lol

But our engines are really like a ATV engine aren't they? It's not like a v twin lol

But our engines are really like a ATV engine aren't they? It's not like a v twin lol

The tech told me that they do not recommend the a atv oil in motorcycles. Give them a call tomorrow and let us know what the say.