Sign in to follow this  

Well, I was thinking.

OK, I have looked and found some outdated information. So I thought I would ask again but I want those who have owned both to explain. 

I currently have 3 bikes, 2010 YZ450F 4t, 04 RM250 and a 03 CR250R. 

I don't plan on getting rid of any of my current 2T's but I would like to know how a 2T KTM (05 and up) compares to a Jap bike. This will be my first KTM and I will be getting a KTM 1190 Adventure R in about a year. But I wanna get the 2T first. 

Also, what other two stroker from KTM should I consider. I see so many different versions but I am not sure. So, any info would be helpful. Thanks. 

Physically KTM's are tall bikes, a new XCW model will have a seat height that's about 2 inches higher than any of your other bikes.  The SX and XC models with linkage rear suspension are shorter but not by much and from what I've read it seems like a no link system is easier to shorten (compared to the other models). 

Beyond that it's hard to make a blanket comparison because we need to know how your riding (MX, desert racing, tight single track, etc.) before we can compare.  It's hard enough to compare the bikes you have ('10 YZF450f vs. RM250 vs. CR250r) with each other.

To be really helpful we need to know where and how you plan on riding, and what you'd like to see in your new ride (bigger gas tank, electric start, lighter weight, more power, less power, etc.) you get the idea..

I am 6'4'' and 165, so I am not much worried about the height. In fact taller, better. 

I plan on riding in open hilled, sandy arroyos, desert, and forrest areas in NM. I really do all types of riding and want a good all around bike. 

I would say 300xc if you ride a lot of open stuff, xc-w if you want the wide ratio transmission, but that is more for woods riding and tight stuff.

I would say 300xc if you ride a lot of open stuff, xc-w if you want the wide ratio transmission, but that is more for woods riding and tight stuff.

Cant go wrong with that advise

Since ktm actually puts development in their 2 strokes, the newer the better really. If I were to spend the money id go for a 300 with electric start and xcw to plate the bike and ride to the trails

Cool. Any years I should avoid?

RallyTuned is correct, the newer the better. 2008 in stock form is arguably a year to avoid, although the (suspension) problems they had are relatively easy to fix. I have an 07 and an 09, both are awesome bikes, the 09 is my favorite of the two, it has had the most attention and tweaking put into it…..Having never ridden a news 300 I probably don't know how miserable I am, but in this case ignorance is bliss.