Sign in to follow this  

Fork leaking!

So after my last ride I noticed while cleaning her up she had a little oil residue on the left fork draining all the way down the tube on the brakes. Can't complain really cause it still had the factory 07 seals in it, got good service out of them I guess. So I ordered all the parts from my local honda dealer. They had to order them though cause as we all know they don't stock parts for our bikes. The parts came in:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405776532.974814.jpg

Now it's time to go to work.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405776596.791958.jpg

The forks are on the bench.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405776660.674339.jpg

This is what comes out of it when you take it apart.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405776810.824447.jpg

This is what a dampening rod that has been drilled out for emulators looks like. Extra holes and bigger.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405776917.074893.jpg

And by the way that's an emulator. They were done a few years back. While doing this I did the side that was leaking first in case I messed up and damaged a part I would still have another to use on it and could do the other side later cause it wasn't leaking. I didn't mess anything up so I continued on to the other fork.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405777250.757884.jpg

Notice the difference in the springs from each side? One BBR and one stock.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405777361.675106.jpg

Well they are back on the bike and ready for a test ride.

While it was down I ordered a new hammerhead brake pedal. Maybe it won't be as bendy as the factory one, we will see but it looks really cool and it's gold anodized.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405777546.607784.jpg

Also while I was at it I browsed around on their website and bought some other gold stuff. I couldn't help myself. I know it's just jewelry but it looks cool.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405777707.790803.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405777725.892262.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this!  My emulators will be here Monday and I'm starting the work Sunday (disassembly, drilling etc).  I was really wanting to see what the internals all looked like (especially the rod after drilling).  I'm planning on doing the install without taking the forks off the bike though.

Great stuff!  Thanks.

Don't know about others experience with deburing the new holes in the damper rods, no one has ever commented on it that I'm aware of, but it's a pain in the a$$ to completely debur and get all sharp edges removed from the inside edges of the drilled holes.

I wouldn't think that leaving any possibility of some leftover sharp metal pieces breaking off inside the fork internals and causing a meltdown.

Personally, I'm not ever looking forward to doing it again unless someone can enlighten me on an easy way to do it.

Ideas?

Don't forget to use a 'brake snake' on that pretty new brake pedal Confederate! Cheap insurance, keep from bending it again!

You can make your own brake safety cable for les than $3, picked up wire, cut to length, and crimps at neighborhood Ace Hardware.

Leaking fork seal? Something else that saved me serious $$ and time is the silly little Motion Pro Seal Mate seal cleaner. For less than $4, this specially shaped and smoothed flat plastic let's u clean between the lips of your fork seals while on the bike! Looks like something u could make yourself but don't bother, their tool's edges are all smoothed so they won't nick your seals. Tip shape is perfect.

I had one leaky seal, slid this thing down into the seat, slowly turned the fork leg around (wheel off) and sure enough, debris came out when I removed tool! Did it several times until it came out clean, and guess what? No more leaking! How many times in my life have I changed fork seals when all that was happening was a little dirt got trapped between the double seal lips!!! Doh!! How many riding days have I missed! You can never get those days back!

It may not work every time, but this YouTube tip was priceless! Look up the vid, see how to use it, you'll thank me! No thank MP!

1405792543169.jpg

Deburring it took longer than the rest of that job. Used hand held deburring tool then a dremmel tool with a carbide bit then used shotgun cleaning brush from gun cleaning kit.

The brake pedal comes with a brake snake just have not installed yet. Am going to take it to work to crimp the cable clamps in place. We have the actual tool for that so figured that would be the best way to do that.

Brake snake is just a safety cable to reduce the chance that the brake pedal gets bent or wrapped back around ur footpeg in a crash. These crf's are prone to that! Drill small hole in pedal near tip, thread cable thru and circle it back around frame tube or 90° bracket under engine mount bolt, test shortest length that allows full brake actuation and crimp it.

Went for a ride this morning. Trying to beat the heat. Wasn't successful at that. Damn it's hot down here in the deep south. Well forks don't leak. Was successful with that. Also I thought I would put 10w oil in it to see if quicker rebound would work better with less rebound that the hagon shock has. The answer is no! It made the front end twitchy. Got to go back to 15w. Now I got to go wash the mud off. I get to play in the water hose doing that though.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406473790.385532.jpg

Confederate

the bike looks good, very similar setup as mine. what year and model are your forks?

i'm running 86 cr500 units but devoid of emulators, and i have about one inch sticking above the top triple.

I was running seal-savers for a year or two, but I think that they tend to hold crap to the seal and cause pre-mature failure.

so in my last rebuild I purchased OEM fork boots and they only come in blue,(the only blue on my bike) so that makes your blue seat cover super !

I like soft forks for hard hare-scrambles, so I played around with various fork oils and I settled on 10w. but i bet that i'm heavier than you.

at one point i even tried 3-in-1 oil, (way too thin, leaked out of every thing)

Confederate

the bike looks good, very similar setup as mine. what year and model are your forks?

i'm running 86 cr500 units but devoid of emulators, and i have about one inch sticking above the top triple.

I was running seal-savers for a year or two, but I think that they tend to hold crap to the seal and cause pre-mature failure.

so in my last rebuild I purchased OEM fork boots and they only come in blue,(the only blue on my bike) so that makes your blue seat cover super !

I like soft forks for hard hare-scrambles, so I played around with various fork oils and I settled on 10w. but i bet that i'm heavier than you.

at one point i even tried 3-in-1 oil, (way too thin, leaked out of every thing)

They are the stock 07 forks that came with the bike with emulators installed. I weigh right at 200 without gear, never have weighed myself with gear. I went blue going for that retro look from my young days. It makes it stand out in the crowd a little more than the stock colors. A lot of people take a second look at the trails and have to go "what is that?" . With suspension changes, cam, and jetting everyone that rides it says it feels nothing like any 230 they have ever ridden.

A lot of people take a second look at the trails and have to go "what is that?"

funny that you mention this, when im on the start grid the 230 gets some looks, and its not envy, it more quizzical...

• Like 2