Sign in to follow this  

Brakes for the 500

Alright so I have a 01 CR 500. Love, love the bike. But I didn't realize how "outdated" the brakes were untill I rode my daughters CRF 250X. That bike stops on a dime. Anyways my big question is what brake system do you guys recommend. I think I will start with the front, then do rear afterwards if needed. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure but I think the brakes are the same, or very similar, between your daughters bike & your 500. What has most likely happened is that your front brake hose has become soft internally. This gives you a soft spongy brake feeling.

I would put a new brake rotor on the front, new Galfer pads, and a Galfer stainless braided brake line on it. Flush & bleed with new fluid and you will find that your brakes are more than adequate.  I made those exact updates to my 2001 CR250R and the difference was amazing.

If you really want to improve the braking action-go to an over-size rotor. You will definitely feel a difference.

• Like 1

Awesome. I will try it out. I might go with the oversized or wave rotors. My brakes are just not as good as I thought they were. Thanks for the input

I rode a '99 CR 500 that had great brakes.  After riding my unce's CR 500 a few years ago, his brakes worked almost as well as my 2011 KTM brakes.  You sure the brake line is bled thoroughly?  Brake line not bulging or failing?  Master cylinder need a rebuild?  No fork fluid on the rotor?

• Like 1

I would install new seals in the caliper and master cylinder, before spending any money on aftermarket parts.

• Like 3

Yes - oversize rotor is the way to go recently picked up a 3rd gen Cr500 & it came with one.  The difference in stopping power is noticeable over a stock unit & have personally been running them over 10 years on my CR250's.  IMHO it's definitely worth the price for the upgrade & results over the stock unit...     

• Like 1

Alright so I have a 01 CR 500. Love, love the bike. But I didn't realize how "outdated" the brakes were untill I rode my daughters CRF 250X. That bike stops on a dime. Anyways my big question is what brake system do you guys recommend. I think I will start with the front, then do rear afterwards if needed. Thanks

You want either a KTM or an '07 and newer CRF master cylinder, a braided line, fresh fluid and OEM pads.

• Like 1

I just put a EBC 280mm kit on my 04 cr and its much better than any bike I have ever ridden. so progressive and very little effort required. not bad for 160 bucks.

• Like 1

On the front, a 260mm oversize rotor will really help things out. If you want to upgrade hard parts, use a 2000 up cr250 or any year 4 stroke caliper. Stronger than yours. I wouldnt worry about front master, they were all the same from 92-06. Its good.

In the rear, your oem rotor size is 220mm. The rear caliper is bigger than newer, same goes for rear master. Pads are typical 87-01 style, which are good. You can without too much trouble adapt a 240mm rotor onto rear.

Use a 97-01 cr250 rear rotor. Its 240mm, and will bolt right on.

You will then need a 97-99 cr250 rear caliper bracket, and 1 cr250 wheel collar, from 95-99 model.

You will need to machine if i remember .110" off the swingarm side of caliper bracket. Use cr250 wheel collar on rotor side.

It all bolts on after the small machining, all oem honda stuff. Most would never notice unless you told them.

All of my old 500s are setup more or less like this, all their brakes are as good or better than any new bike.

• Like 2

On the front, a 260mm oversize rotor will really help things out. If you want to upgrade hard parts, use a 2000 up cr250 or any year 4 stroke caliper. Stronger than yours. I wouldnt worry about front master, they were all the same from 92-06. Its good.

In the rear, your oem rotor size is 220mm. The rear caliper is bigger than newer, same goes for rear master. Pads are typical 87-01 style, which are good. You can without too much trouble adapt a 240mm rotor onto rear.

Use a 97-01 cr250 rear rotor. Its 240mm, and will bolt right on.

You will then need a 97-99 cr250 rear caliper bracket, and 1 cr250 wheel collar, from 95-99 model.

You will need to machine if i remember .110" off the swingarm side of caliper bracket. Use cr250 wheel collar on rotor side.

It all bolts on after the small machining, all oem honda stuff. Most would never notice unless you told them.

All of my old 500s are setup more or less like this, all their brakes are as good or better than any new bike.

Pay attention to this post and what camP said.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to start with the brake line(s). Then if I need to go with the rotors I will.