Sign in to follow this  

1995 xr650l

Hi, im new to this, I have a xr650 warming up runs fine, after awhile when engine is hot down shifting to stop , once stopped the engine revs, like a bat outta hell, once take off its fine till next stop.. looked a boot between head and carb ,fro leaks thought I found sealed , no luck , on cooler days takes longer to start the engine to rev at stops, on hot days its faster at stops, no smog crap has just under 4000 miles ,I put 300 on myself and is a one owner orig.4000, only 1995. also I found an extra hose going up under seat and tucked up behind number plate. and ideas. THANKS

Have you tried play wit that dem there idle speed adjustment thing?

Welcome to the site.

No really wasnt sure what to try , the guy i got it feom said no problems always ran good

Is hat the adjustment on left side just below carb with a finger thread and a hose going to other side of carb

Idle adjustment is on the left side and you can do it with your fingers.  I kept raising mine until it didn't stall during off road use.

My guess is that all of the smog stuff has been removed and one of the tubes going into the carburetor didn't get blocked off properly.  Find instructions for de-smogging an XR650L, then check that everything is blocked off properly.

they made the idle adjustment easy to get to on these for a reason

I am guessing   LOL

mine needs fine tuning some days specially trail riding  the idle will climb when it gets hot

so ZIMMER , why would it  rev up when hotter, ya think it would stay low rpm to stay cooler, or does it rev higher to get cool, confused ,

ok, the guy I bought if from , bought it as a crate bike  you build bike he never put smog on it, , it was all white , red seat, I added red fins, changed seat to match, built my own rack , added a trunk and  changed seat color on it from  black to red, made another box to change trunk out, looking for larger foot pegs or have to make my own , in process of making a center stand , could never get answer back from smoking mike , and a 3 inch handlebar riser.

Zimmar , is it ok to run it doing the high reving at stop lights , or is it killing the engine?

OK  don't lol, oil separator , where is that hose ?

Look for vac line on front of carb on top at engine boot it runs to other side of carb has a T in it make sure the T is capped off that was where the hose ran to pair valve that was removed

Look for vac line on front of carb on top at engine boot it runs to other side of carb has a T in it make sure the T is capped off that was where the hose ran to pair valve that was removed

ok could that be the hose that runs up under seat to right side or to the exhust side

That thing on the back reminds me of a child's potty chair.  I would be embarrassed to have something like that on the back of mine. :lol:

reminded me of you so , in your honor.

That thing on the back reminds me of a child's potty chair.  I would be embarrassed to have something like that on the back of mine. :lol:

I love Dirt Bike guys we are a bunch of smartasses! LOL