Sign in to follow this  

07 crf450r will not idle

I have torn the carburetor apart and cleaned out and replaced all jets, put in a new spark plug, and tested cylinder compression and it was good. I have adjusted the pilot screw and idle screw to spec. The bike will start and runs great but just won't idle without giving it a little gas to keep it going. I'm not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

You have a passage blocked or an air leak.

If the idle drops slowly, it's an air leak

Clear the passage above the pilot jet using large fishing line and spray cleaner

Change your fuel screw oring to a fresh one

Clean/polish/lube your hot start plunger and cavity, and verify the cable is not siezed

Adjust your fuel screw for max idle, starting with 1 turn out and the lowest idle screw setting possible.

I pretty much have the same issue. I'm gonna try to rebuild the carb with new seals and jets. I'm hoping this will fix the problem. I will also try running a fishing line through the passages just to make sure they are clear. Will let you know the outcome!

I have torn the carburetor apart and cleaned out and replaced all jets, put in a new spark plug, and tested cylinder compression and it was good. I have adjusted the pilot screw and idle screw to spec. The bike will start and runs great but just won't idle without giving it a little gas to keep it going. I'm not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

I just rebuilt my carb with a rebuild kit. Comes with seals and needles. Now runs and idles like new. Get yourself a kit. It worked for me. Kit cost me $45. Took me 3.5 hours start to finish.