Sign in to follow this  

need a ride but what?

Im back to riding after 20+yrs.I have a new dr650 but am learning it's only a marginally good ride (good commuter). would like a bike a 5'4' 200 lb 50ish guy can scare himself on. What I "think" I want is light like a 250mx'r, short like a old school enduro (32" max seat), with the brutal power I remember the old 80's 500cc mxr's had. And it needs to be road legal. can I find it or will I be forced to build it? so far all the laughing and good lucks suggests im going to have to build it. any ideas?

Go for the KTM 350 exc-f. Bikes has plenty of power and very competitive dualsport.still seeking for more then pick the ktm 500.

Get building man!

No such bike. It's not like "the good old days" ... but the truth is : THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. " (The Shawshank Redemption)

Even if you had that fantasy bike ... you think you could handle it? 5'4" 200 lbs.? :naughty:   maybe if you lost 50 lbs. and started working out ... maybe ....

How hard you wanna work? I rode AMA enduro for 8 years in my late 30's 40's ... nearly killed me ... and I was in OK shape.

The fact is ... the DR650 is all you need. It's the lowest seat height of ANY dual sport on the market ... and if you read your owners manual you'll know it can even go LOWER. At the shop we set one up

for a 5' tall women. She loved it! Tippy toes down on both feet!

So put some effort into your DR and have fun. You won't be riding any Black Diamond trails anyway .... even if you had a KTM500. (37" seat height)

I'm only 5'6" ... rode TALL dirt bikes my whole life ... still doing it at 65 ... but at a slower pace!  :ride:   From the sound of it ... you haven't ridden a modern dirt bike ... in like what? 30 years?

They've been TALL ... VERY TALL ... since the 1980's. (remember Jeff Ward?) :rolleyes:

Kind of agree with 54321, but at 200lbs you could run a much smaller motor that would rev more quickly and feel more sporty in general.  That' to me is 1/2 of the performance angle, just feeling like a motor wants to have fun. Big bore jap bikes just aren't like that with a few exceptions (and they are tall).  You could get the supension tweaked on the DR to fit you and you're riding and be pretty good.

But a mid sized bike had a lot less motor weight to haul around and a lot less crank inertia feel so they feel lighter and more spirited IMO.

The KTM would do that. DRZ400E would too in a much cheaper option. 

Edited by MindBlower

It's true, a mid sized bike will ultimately be more fun off road ... but might be a comprise ON road.

The DRZ-E is a great option and a good price ... if you can find a plated one. Add lower links to lower it a bit and pull tubes up in triple clamps. You might

lower by a couple inches or so?

But if you want a really good road bike and fire road bike ... and even a long range ADV tour bike ... then the DR650 is the better choice. With good care and some mods you can

lose up to about 50lbs. off the DR650 (Pipe, pass. pegs, bars .. and a few other things) . At that point add better suspension and you've got a decent dual sport bike capable doing 

moderately technical terrain ... with a decent "IN SHAPE" rider on board. The DRZ or KTM will always be better, lighter and more nimble off road ... but NONE have the versatility of the DR650

overall. So pick your poison. :cheers:  ... and good luck!

I would agree about the DR650. I have been riding for thirty plus years and have ridden a variety of bikes. I just purchased a 2013 dr650 and I love it. However it does not perform as well as smaller lighter bikes more fitted for just off road but to ride somewhere and find a trail or forest road and ride to work the next day it is hard to beat.

I want to thank you for your responses. Glad to see some of you assume im a Tella tubby. And yes I do remember Jeff, he was a inspiration to us short leg, big bike guys. Shook his hand in Seattle! Almost bought a kx500 because of him! And no I have not been on many "modern" dirt bikes,a few try this out rides. have  been mostly on street bikes lately.  lowered susp {per factory inst}  is for safety on the road no other reason {300 miles a week just going to work}. Just looking for the rush I had riding a Husky wr450 in high school. My yz250 was fun but demanded no real respect, No, I have not yet been thu the motor on my DR, will do it hopefully this winter. As well as the susp.I hope this helps. Don't get me wrong the DR is a good ride like a mule, it  goes almost everywhere you point it just with a lot of effort due to its ok susp, and fair power / weight ratio. Have been thinking about the KTM's last one I was on was a 495mx, that was a fun bike! As a last resort I might have to go that way.  Guess I'll keep on the current course and see what happens. thanks again for the thoughts.    

With the right mods ... the DR can be pretty good for mild off roading. No ... not technical single track ... but most Two Track, Desert and Fire Roads.

Suspension is the place to start. Read the forums for ideas. Next up ... if me, I'd do the seat. Stock one is a torture rack. I have a Cobin I love.

Then ... open up air box, get a real adjustable needle and jet accordingly. Not a big deal. Only the suspenion can cost some dough. The Carb and air box mods are cheap.

My DR has an Ohlin shock the Race Tech emulator forks. Also, Cogent Dynamics make wonderful stuff for the DR650 ... the owner is an owner and fan.

After that ... it's mostly stuff you like.

The DR is a fabulous street bike. Really good on a tight back road or going from Fire Road to pavement and back again. Also, you can pack it up for a Day or for a Year. It can handle it.

:cheers:

It's true, a mid sized bike will ultimately be more fun off road ... but might be a comprise ON road.

The DRZ-E is a great option and a good price ... if you can find a plated one. Add lower links to lower it a bit and pull tubes up in triple clamps. You might

lower by a couple inches or so?

But if you want a really good road bike and fire road bike ... and even a long range ADV tour bike ... then the DR650 is the better choice. With good care and some mods you can

lose up to about 50lbs. off the DR650 (Pipe, pass. pegs, bars .. and a few other things) . At that point add better suspension and you've got a decent dual sport bike capable doing 

moderately technical terrain ... with a decent "IN SHAPE" rider on board. The DRZ or KTM will always be better, lighter and more nimble off road ... but NONE have the versatility of the DR650

overall. So pick your poison. :cheers:  ... and good luck!

Yes, E's are rare, and plated E's rarer ( :goofy: ), but you can do the same mods to an S or SM and be there as well.

AND get MUCH better off road performance.  

Oh, my E is a 2001.   1461779_10152057203000719_2016324174_n_z

Edited by MindBlower