Anybody have a mod carb on a 200?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with a modded carb on a 200. I had RB Designs do some head work on my YZ and had some good results so I'm thinking of having some stuff done to the ole' 200. Looks like he bores it out to 39mm, adds a divider plate, reshapes the slide and does some circuitry modifying as well. Anybody have any input? 

I don't have any input on the modded carb but I've ran several different pipe/carb combo's on my 200. Without a doubt the 39mm carb is the way to go for me, I ride my 200 hard and don't mind losing a bit of top for a fair bit of top end and that's what happened when changing from a 38 to the 39mm carb. 

I asked Dick's racing about a 36/39mm modded carb and he said they work better than the 39mm down low but don't pull quite as strong up top. So take that for what it's worth. 

Edit: I've never tried a 36mm carb as my bike came with a 38 and then I tried a 39, I know the 36 wouldn't have been going the wrong direction but I'd like to try a 36/9. 

I take it your bike in an 06 or later with the 36mm carb right?

Edited by Squid_Racer

I don't have any input on the modded carb but I've ran several different pipe/carb combo's on my 200. Without a doubt the 39mm carb is the way to go for me, I ride my 200 hard and don't mind losing a bit of top for a fair bit of top end and that's what happened when changing from a 38 to the 39mm carb.

I asked Dick's racing about a 36/39mm modded carb and he said they work better than the 39mm down low but don't pull quite as strong up top. So take that for what it's worth.

Edit: I've never tried a 36mm carb as my bike came with a 38 and then I tried a 39, I know the 36 wouldn't have been going the wrong direction but I'd like to try a 36/9.

I take it your bike in an 06 or later

with the 36mm carb right?

Yeah it's a 2010, it lugs pretty good as is and I figure if I need any more low end I could always switch to a gnarly pipe. Supposedly the divider plate and circuitry mods are supposed to help keep low end response as well. Maybe I'll pull the trigger when the snow flies ha.
  • Like 1

Yeah it's a 2010, it lugs pretty good as is and I figure if I need any more low end I could always switch to a gnarly pipe. Supposedly the divider plate and circuitry mods are supposed to help keep low end response as well. Maybe I'll pull the trigger when the snow flies ha.

how much do the carb mods cost? You'll probably gain more top than lose bottom by going to a 38 or 39mm. Most people say that's why the older 200s run a fair bit stronger than the newer ones. The pipe makes some difference as well.

how much do the carb mods cost? You'll probably gain more top than lose bottom by going to a 38 or 39mm. Most people say that's why the older 200s run a fair bit stronger than the newer ones. The pipe makes some difference as well.

I actually have a 38 mm carb off of a 250xc laying around, do you know if that will fit on my 36mm 200 with little to no modification?

His cost for full mod (bore, slide, circuitry, jetting) is $140 plus $17 for shipping. That's a great deal considering similar service from Dicks racing is about twice as much.

ktm sx 125 carbs are 39 mm they are cheap and easy to get and make the 200 pick up quite a bit over the 36mm any bigger carb is an improvement as long as your not just crawling super slow all the time. put that 38 on because you have it- re jet it will need bigger jets and at least one clip richer on the needle than the 250 needed

• Like 1

ktm sx 125 carbs are 39 mm they are cheap and easy to get and make the 200 pick up quite a bit over the 36mm any bigger carb is an improvement as long as your not just crawling super slow all the time. put that 38 on because you have it- re jet it will need bigger jets and at least one clip richer on the needle than the 250 needed

There is also a jetting chart for the earlier 200's that came with the 38mm carb. Other than the carb and pipe it sounds like the motors are nearly identical from all I can gather. I doubt the pipe affects jetting too much so starting out with the KTM jet's for the older 200 probably wouldn't be a bad start. I'll add that most of the time people end up going richer on the main with the 200 than KTM reccomends.