Sign in to follow this  

powder coating rims with tires on

Part of the powder coating process is baking the powder on to the metal, so it's not possible without destroying the tire and making one hell of a mess.

• Like 4

I feel like if I deflated the tires and then pushed them in and taped along the edge of the tire and wrapped the rest of it and then taped off the spokes and hub leaving only the rim visible then powder coated it, it might work.

Edited by ImAHondaMan

I feel like if I deflated the tires and then pushed them in and taped along the edge of the tire and wrapped the rest of it and then taped off the spokes and hub leaving only the rim visible then powder coated it, it might work.

Put that in the oven the ol' lady will kill you .  :lol:

Edited by Beau 88

Tires are not that much of a hassle to take off.  You got to learn sometime.  If you're going to do the rim without taking off the spokes and hub you'll need to take out the bearings.  Powder coating involves baking the item at about 400 degrees.  Not good for grease and bearings.  

• Like 4

I can remove tires I just hate doing it. I've gotten fairly good at it since I've been riding for 11 years.

but if that's what I have to to I'll do it.

so to powder coat I simply remove the bearings and sprocket/disc and then it's good to go with the rim spoke and hub all together? or do I dismantle those parts as well?

Just my opinion, but if you leave the spokes on when you powder coat it.....

It's gonna look like you left the spokes on when you powder coated it.

Also if you don't prep around the spoke holes really well, then you may end up with chipping and flaking.

Just because something can be done....doesn't mean it should be.

I can remove tires I just hate doing it. I've gotten fairly good at it since I've been riding for 11 years.

but if that's what I have to to I'll do it.

so to powder coat I simply remove the bearings and sprocket/disc and then it's good to go with the rim spoke and hub all together? or do I dismantle those parts as well?

Have you looked into the price of powdercoating? If you are going to go to the hassle and expense of powder coating you might as well do it properly. 

You might as well take the spokes out because when you need to adjust them the powdercoat around them will crack and start to peel from the spoke, rim and hub. It will look like shit in no time flat and if your powdercoater is proud of his work he may just refuse to do it that way anyhow.

Also, make sure your powdercoater knows what he's doing, make sure he isn't going to coat the bits of the hub where the bearings came out of, or you'll have to sand it all off again to get the bearings in. 

You will also need new wheel bearings because by knocking them out they get damaged and probably won't last much longer if you re-install them after that. 

To be honest you might be better off with paint. You don't have to dismantle anything, you can mask off the tyre and spokes, it's cheap, it won't last anywhere near as long but you can always redo it. 

• Like 1

I'd only bother to powdercoat durable parts like frames and swingarms.

Edited by sandlvr69

No, don't do it. 

I'd be surprised if you could find a place that'd even consider it.

It's not that big of a deal to pop the tire off.

While you're doing it, take the spokes and hub off too.

Clean the shit out of the parts you want PC'd, because if they're not squeaky clean, the PC isn't going to stick and won't last long.

If you're going to do it, do it right or don't do it at all.

I was considering taking my wheels apart to get powder coated how much would this run me? If I did all the labor and showed up at a body shop, also how bad is relacing the spokes? Highly considering it, they give bikes that "factory" look

Parts get sand blasted,then they get a rinsed off and usually aluminum parts get a pre-bake. Dont waste your time the rims wont hold up like anodizing. U can do the hubs and spokes in powder but rims dont last. Make sure holes that are machined for fitment like bearings,threads or bolts are plugged off. If not the powder will ruin the I.D of the holes or threads and make a mess.