Sign in to follow this  

650r slight case damage from thrown chain

so the Xring chain on my R decided to break today, one of the links (not the master) completely exploded during a full-power 3rd gear acceleration, the chain wrapped around the front sprocket, destroyed the case-saver and broke of the top case-saver\chainguide mount, by some miracle this was the only damage to the case.

what can I use to repair the broken mount? I was thinking JB weld, but I don't know if it is strong enough to be tapped and hold a screw, and I don't know if it would take the heat and vibration from the engine.

and could I be seeing internal engine damage from something like this? I was full throttle in third and the engine did a complete stop in less then a split second from the wrapped chain.

Yikes! That sucks what brand of chain was it and how old was it? Pictures might help for giving advice on ways to fix it. I wonder if it could be welded and re-tapped.

Edited by motorider200
  • Like 1

Yikes! That sucks what brand of chain was it and how old was it? Pictures might help for giving advice on ways to fix it. I wonder if it could be welded and re-tapped.

x-ring chain.