Sign in to follow this  

How the neck do I pull out oil filter? 14' kx250f

It won't come out, I can twist it but it won't pull out. I've even taken a couple paperclips, made hooks at the end to get around the rim, pull the paper clips with plyers and it just pulls the paper clips out and straightens out the hook. This is my first oil filter change.

1405987676642.jpg

Ring expansion pliers work the best. Stick em on the center recess and squeeze. They'll grab ahold very well.

craftsman_pliers_snapring_pcircle_f_crop

I'll try to pick up some of those, is it always this tough? It was a left over 14' I just bought so the oil filter has been sitting for awhile. What is that other tool in the picture?

Edited by BrapCity

Haha, the age-old question!  I was using magnets until a TTer told me to try a pick.  You can get a cheap set at the auto parts store and they come in handy.  Anyway, put the L shaped pick in the recess, lever it against the rim of the recess, and it pulls right out.  

cheap pair of needle nose and grind or file some barbs on the outside face of the jaws. Stick it in pull a part and out she comes.

I've tried needle nose pliers, without barbs and it doesn't even come close to what it needs to pull the filter out. That filter seems like it's super glued on.

I usually put a knife on one side and a screwdriver on the other.

If you have to you can punch a hole in the old filter with a screwdriver and pull it out.

Edited by LSHD

Careful for shrapnel if you decide to mutilate your filter when removing. You shouldn't need to go through this much hassle pulling out an oil filter. LOL!

I bought some ring expansion pliers I'll try tonight, I might try to put a rubber ring around the plier tips so when it applies pressure it will have more surface area and rubber will most likely grip better on metal than metal on metal. Idk why it's stuck in there that strong, maybe since the bike was sitting there for 8 months on the show room floor and the grease became really sticky. Should I open the oil fill cap to release any suction pressure on the oil filter or does that not matter? I really want to ride this Saturday and avoid a visit to the dealer.

No need to remove the oil filler cap. If oil passes through the filter element air can too. Crank case pressure is not holding that on.

If it's really kicking your ass that bad take 2 small flat heads and bend the tips over so you can hook them under the metal end of the filter, 180 degrees from one another, and wiggle it out.

No need to remove the oil filler cap. If oil passes through the filter element air can too. Crank case pressure is not holding that on.

If it's really kicking your ass that bad take 2 small flat heads and bend the tips over so you can hook them under the metal end of the filter, 180 degrees from one another, and wiggle it out.

I'm worried about damaging the outer metal walls of the compartment that houses the oil filter. Plus as you can see in the image there isn't much room at all to put 2 screw drivers in especially since the filter end isn't even flush with the outside, its recessed. Thanks for the advice though! I'm going to try the expansion pliers in the center hole tonight.

Got it guys! Expansion pliers and a small rubber hose piece. Thanks everyone!

Woohoo

1406157254436.jpg

1406157266180.jpg

• Like 1