Sign in to follow this  

Running lean? Red header, and gravity feed petcock

So my 2005 650 seen some action over the years, but this season its something new.  The other day driving to work at highway speeds, it started to bog and lose power, almost like running out of gas.  I made it to work, and on the way home, the same thing happened when the throttle was open, it would bog out to the point of stalling if I opened it up any.  The bike will start up fine, and idle just fine, but any load that would require the bigger jets would cause it to bog out, even in neutrel.

Now I noticed the other night that the header pipe was glowing somewhat red when the bike was working properly.  I did some searching and some places say its normal, some say its a jetting issue etc etc.  The fuel lines and filter in both the carb and petcock do have some silt like build up in them, but not enough to cause a fuel blockage.  I have a gravity fed petcock on it and when its in the 'on' position, the gas pours out fine.  I did notice on top of the carb that the spot where the vaccume line would go for the stock petcock vaccume system was not plugged.  (Pretty sure I had one on it when I got the gravity petcock, possibly fell off or something) I can hear it sucking air in when the bikes idling.  Would this not being blocked off cause it to run lean?  The carb is stock, I haven't taken it apart yet, I just wanted to rule out any of the obvious things.  Also tried it without the airfilter on and the same would happen.

I did have the timing chain tentioner off awhile back when rebuilding the starter motor, but I can't see it being a timing issue, I'm pretty sure I had that spring wound all the way out when putting the timing chain tentioner back on.

I took my plugs out and they are pretty white looking.  I suppose I can't rule out any plugged up jets or anything until the carb is taken apart, but I just wanted to bring it up here.

20140721_204351.jpg

You need to plug that vacuum port. It's possible the little in line filter in the carb inlet pipe is clogged too.

You need to plug that vacuum port. It's possible the little in line filter in the carb inlet pipe is clogged too.

the inline filter isn't clogged.  It had a tiny bit of stuff in it, but I tried running it without the filter in it at all and the same was happening.

It's possible the little in line filter in the carb inlet pipe is clogged too.

Or in my case filter disintegration, the remains then clogging the jets, complete carb/jet clean and replace filter (came out in pieces).