Riding with choke - any damage?

My dad rides an older, air cooled, small bore, two-stroke dirt bike. The old carb. Was finished, so we ordered a new one.

Well on the new one, the choke is reversed. Down is on, up is off. So my dad just did a 1h + ride with the choke on complaining how it kept bogging down, and how it had no power. About ten minutes later when I went to put it away, I went to put the choke on, and realized it already was.

So my question is, did we do any damage? It's a 2t so it is a gas operated choke, not air, right? And what should I look at for damage?

Thanks in advance guys!

You didn't hurt anything. If anything it got more top end lube than ever before. The only thing you could have done was foul the plug.

You didn't hurt anything. If anything it got more top end lube than ever before. The only thing you could have done was foul the plug.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thank you very much for confirming it!

The choke only makes your bike run REAL rich. The only harm it'll do is foul a plug.

Pride :facepalm:

Yeah I was following him and he told me it wasn't running right and I said I beleive it! It's smoking like a son of a bitch! I feel like puking. Then we came back.

I looked at it for 10 seconds and was like &%$#@!!

Thanks again everyone. Don't think he'll make that mistake again.

I did that once at the drag strip with my uncles rd400.

Ran like crap for like 10 passes.

Didn't figure out the choke was on until we packed up/ it was backwards.

That thing ran 14's in the 1/4 with the choke on.

I had one of those, a high strung '77. Like to think I'd have figured it out right away but who knows? Man, those were the wheelie kings of the day.

Mike

I would kill for an rd! My dad says those were the dream bikes back then. My dad ('83 ninja 1000) still tells me how he wanted an '85 rd 350 though. Were they all 2t's?

I would kill for an rd! My dad says those were the dream bikes back then. My dad ('83 ninja 1000) still tells me how he wanted an '85 rd 350 though. Were they all 2t's?

Yep. They had a powervalved Banshee motor. Quite neat little bikes. Unfortunately they are pretty collectable -meaning expensive- these days.

Yep. They had a powervalved Banshee motor. Quite neat little bikes. Unfortunately they are pretty collectable -meaning expensive- these days.

Yeah I saw ONE around here I 3 years. It was posted for $7000. I went to show my dad the next day, and it was gone. Never would have thought anything that old would have sold for that much.

I'd love to have an RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition!