Big Bore or Not?

Hey everyone I am redoing my top end and I don't plan on doing any mods beyond what I already have (3x3, jetting and aftermarket exhaust). The reason for this is that I don't want to lose my solid MPG. My question is should I get a big bore? They are only $60 more and I have read that some people found they increased their fuel economy with a big bore kit (likely due to lower RPMs at higher speeds). I am not sure this will be true though. I do mostly backroads with a little bit of riding in the city or in towns (I live in the country). If I don't plan on doing any other upgrades will it be worth it to get a big bore or should I just get a replacement top end.

I am planning on getting a Cycle Works top end for those of you that were curious.

Looking for some help, thanks.

Benny

How many miles do you have? I'd definitely recommend a big bore but if you have a lot of miles a head refresh would be a good idea.

Benny, put an (OEM) top end in it and ride the wheels off it !

Hey everyone I am redoing my top end and I don't plan on doing any mods beyond what I already have (3x3, jetting and aftermarket exhaust). The reason for this is that I don't want to lose my solid MPG. My question is should I get a big bore? They are only $60 more and I have read that some people found they increased their fuel economy with a big bore kit (likely due to lower RPMs at higher speeds). I am not sure this will be true though. I do mostly backroads with a little bit of riding in the city or in towns (I live in the country). If I don't plan on doing any other upgrades will it be worth it to get a big bore or should I just get a replacement top end.

I am planning on getting a Cycle Works top end for those of you that were curious.

Looking for some help, thanks.

Benny

BB kit is a good move, lower revs at higher speed will only apply is you raise the overall gearing, 15/44-45 works well, except in slow single track/technical where you will need a lot of clutch slippage.

BB makes more mid range ride ability rather than revving it up, works great off road.

Ridden under similiar conditions, a correctly jetted big bore will return equal to or better fuel economy figures than stock..

Black DRZ nailed it.....you don't need to rev a BB as much as stock to achieve the same level of performance....

My Big bore E returns 26 km per 1 litre of fuel, it was getting 22 km per litre when stock..

My Big bore E returns 26 km per 1 litre of fuel, it was getting 22 km per litre when stock..

22 km per liter when new or when it was time for a rebuild?

22 km per liter when new or when it was time for a rebuild?

Since day one to 5,000 kms..........I installed the cylinder works big bore kit when the stock top end was is good condition

If that is the case is there any advantage to getting a regular 400 top end?

If that is the case is there any advantage to getting a regular 400 top end?

Like you said it's $60 cheaper.... Other than that, no not really.