Big Bore or Not?

Hey everyone I am redoing my top end and I don't plan on doing any mods beyond what I already have (3x3, jetting and aftermarket exhaust). The reason for this is that I don't want to lose my solid MPG. My question is should I get a big bore? They are only $60 more and I have read that some people found they increased their fuel economy with a big bore kit (likely due to lower RPMs at higher speeds). I am not sure this will be true though. I do mostly backroads with a little bit of riding in the city or in towns (I live in the country). If I don't plan on doing any other upgrades will it be worth it to get a big bore or should I just get a replacement top end.

I am planning on getting a Cycle Works top end for those of you that were curious.

Looking for some help, thanks.

Benny

Hey everyone I am redoing my top end and I don't plan on doing any mods beyond what I already have (3x3, jetting and aftermarket exhaust). The reason for this is that I don't want to lose my solid MPG. My question is should I get a big bore? They are only $60 more and I have read that some people found they increased their fuel economy with a big bore kit (likely due to lower RPMs at higher speeds). I am not sure this will be true though. I do mostly backroads with a little bit of riding in the city or in towns (I live in the country). If I don't plan on doing any other upgrades will it be worth it to get a big bore or should I just get a replacement top end.

I am planning on getting a Cycle Works top end for those of you that were curious.

Looking for some help, thanks.

Benny

BB kit is a good move, lower revs at higher speed will only apply is you raise the overall gearing, 15/44-45 works well, except in slow single track/technical where you will need a lot of clutch slippage.

BB makes more mid range ride ability rather than revving it up, works great off road.

• Like 2

Ridden under similiar conditions, a correctly jetted big bore will return equal to or better fuel economy figures than stock..

Black DRZ nailed it.....you don't need to rev a BB as much as stock to achieve the same level of performance....

My Big bore E returns 26 km per 1 litre of fuel, it was getting 22 km per litre when stock..

• Like 1