Sign in to follow this  

2007 KX 250 2 stroke ,lost spark HELPPPP

alright guys here is the deal,

I have an 2007 kx 250,  the front end(front forks and triple clamps are off a 2010 kxf 250)  when I turn the bike my fork tubes will just about hit the frame witch i"m not overly concerned about(stabilizer coming soon), the tubes come close enough that they slightly pinch the kill switch every time I turn left, so I have been riding the bike for about 2 years now and was totally oblivious that kill switch wires were slowly but surely breaking.  last weekend at the track they finally let go, I cranked the bars to the left hitting a berm and she just died instantly no bogging she just died.  

I am pretty familiar with how a dirtbike runs and works electrically and mechanically , what my question is when the bike died could it have grounded out and sent a flash back to the coil and burn out the CDI(ignition box, black box).  so the first thing I ordered was another OEM kawi kill switch, thinking it would solve my problem.  I had an new universal  kill switch kicking around the garage so I cut the old wires and ran the universal switch to the old wires and this isn't rocket science to do, and STILL no spark, I am not convinced that the new kill switch will be any different.

a new coil for my bike is about 30-60$

a new CDI is 355$ OUCH!! :foul:

anyway I'm open to tips and advice any help would be appreciated guys and girls, im going to start by testing everything to see where the spark is lost or if there is any current to begin with. the way the bike died so instantly im thinking some damage was done !

Cheers ,ben :thumbsup:

here is a little pic of her for you guys! :ride:

1536424_10203321410288649_9204547197192116736_n1.jpg

First, Did you try to start the bike with kill switch unplugged? Take it out of the picture to start with. Next will be getting a good multimeter. Check both sides of the stator coil for continuity and measure the ohms. You may want to contact Rickystator.com. Ricky is also a member on here and visits quite often, and find out what the correct resistance should be.

Next will be to find a diagram of the CDI pinouts. Find out where you should have continuity.

As for the trees hitting the frame------not good! Blackwoodz on here did this and had to mod the steering stops. A must for this swap.

First, Did you try to start the bike with kill switch unplugged? Take it out of the picture to start with. Next will be getting a good multimeter. Check both sides of the stator coil for continuity and measure the ohms. You may want to contact Rickystator.com. Ricky is also a member on here and visits quite often, and find out what the correct resistance should be.

Next will be to find a diagram of the CDI pinouts. Find out where you should have continuity.

As for the trees hitting the frame------not good! Blackwoodz on here did this and had to mod the steering stops. A must for this swap.

alright cool thanks for the help I have a multi meter I am going to figure out how to use it soon, I also have a circuit tester ,and yeah I tried starting it without the kill switch no luck , I have been thinking about fixing the steering stops  for a while now will get to it over the winter ,

cheers ,ben

on your meter, you should have something that looks like  ->l+

That's what you use for continuity. If it's a good one with sound, it'll beep when connection is made. Always touch the 2 probes together to insure everything works. The display should read zero when together. Otherwise it'll be showing #'s.

Edited by SAPPERS

on your meter, you should have something that looks like  ->l+

That's what you use for continuity. If it's a good one with sound, it'll beep when connection is made. Always touch the 2 probes together to insure everything works. The display should read zero when together. Otherwise it'll be showing #'s.

oh ok cool I have a friend that's really good with elec stuff hes going to give me a hand I will let ya know what it ends up being

cheers,ben

\

Mine died instantly and wouldn't start back, there was actually a lose connection. Took off the gas tank and theres a few connections down there, also in the airbox. In my 2001 atleast.  The connection actually separated. put it back together and got it all tight and it fixed it right up. Just a thought

• Like 1

Mine died instantly and wouldn't start back, there was actually a lose connection. Took off the gas tank and theres a few connections down there, also in the airbox. In my 2001 atleast.  The connection actually separated. put it back together and got it all tight and it fixed it right up. Just a thought

ok thanks for the help , tomorrow I have some parts that will be arriving to my house I will se if this can fix the problamo!!!!

I will let you guys know when I figure out the Problem

Well best of luck, definately let us know

got her figured out my friend has a multimeter and we checked all the connections and we weren't getting good readings from the coil and the stator, the first thing I ordered is a new coil if she dosnt have any spark after that then I will have to fork out the dough and buy a stator!!! yikes , but the CDI was ok so im glad I have narrowed her down to 2 things ! I will keep u guys posted

cheers ben

I thought I was gonna need a new coil myself, I hope that's it. Stators are pretty expensive!

Be sure to look into rickystator.com before investing in an OEM. He fixes all the OEM shortcomings and will usually build them to boost output on certain models. If he doesn't have one for your bike, you can send yours in for repair as well.

Still pricey, but worth it.

Be sure to look into rickystator.com before investing in an OEM. He fixes all the OEM shortcomings and will usually build them to boost output on certain models. If he doesn't have one for your bike, you can send yours in for repair as well.

time is of the essence, so I will be buying a new stator, replaced the coil with a brand new one still no spark , im getting a little frustrated now ! I will check out the rickystator web site tho thx for the help

cheers,ben

hey just thought id let you guys know I got it running I guess it was my stator after all cost me 360$ after tax but now im back in the dirt and couldn't be happier thanks a bunch for the help!!!!

cheers ben

• Like 1

The stator you bought was too much money you could.have got.one cheaper through eBay or from regularrectafier

Yeah, buddy.  There are TONS of used ones on ebay all the time.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What is a rectafier, spelling bee chumpion?

JEEZ

So what about my spelling what are we like 5th grade who give a shit do you understand Wtf I am saying and it seems like you do so moving rite along a company makes new stators for kx 500 and.250 that's the name in the last mess