2008 RM125 Project

Hey crew, I picked up a tidy K8 RM125 a month ago. It had 10hrs on it and was dead stock apart from a full Pro Circuit Works Pipe. It even came with the factory spares kit (including piston, rings, gaskets, jets) and a proper service manual . . not like the site they send out with a bike these days. This is going to be my little project bike, as my 2013 250sx is my knock about bike.

IMG_02751.jpg

_201.jpg

_202.jpg

_203.jpg

_20.jpg

My 250sx

IMG_0274.jpg

p.s. never let Cooper688 housesit for you or this is what happens:

IMG_0251.jpg

I have made a conscious effort to not start splashing cash on the Suzi until I have a clear idea about what I want to do with it . .  and I have always found that riding a bike for a little while gives you a very clear idea about what the critical components are that need to be fixed/replaced/burnt/sacrificed to the gods. So after riding it for a month now I’ve noticed a few things:

1)    The engagement point on the clutch it right at the end of the leaver, and it’s got more of hydraulic style on/off feel than what I am use to with previous cable clutch bikes.  My mate Cooper688 has the K8 250 and his feels like a cable clutch should, very progressive and responsive. Mine isn’t slipping or grabbing, I have full use of the clutch it’s just a bloody light switch and right at the end of the leaver. I have checked/lubricated the cable and torn down the clutch three times now and everything is within tolerance. The clutch fibres all measure 2.9mm thick with a lover tolerance of 2.3mm, so that’s 0.6mm of fat left. The basket has a few slights waves in it, but it’s far from being notched. I have had a chat to my mates at the local Suzi dealer and they are scratching their heads too . . . Does anyone know why this is so or how to adjust the activation point?

IMG_0355.jpg

2)    The brakes are shocking compared to the Brembo setup on my 2013 KTM 250SX. I’m going to burn these and sacrifice them to the gods . . . or put them on a Honda hahaha

3)    The factory seat also has to go. It feels like you’re sitting down in the bike instead of up on top ready to attack, and the seat cover is slicker than Dr Evils head.

Other than these grumbles, this thing is a blast . . I have caught myself giggling like a school girl while ripping trails with my buddy Digs on this thing.

Mods made so far:

After one ride I noticed it was spooging everywhere, so I ripped the top off and put a full top end in it . . . it was in the spares kit so I might as well use it. The piston had a bit of blow-by but was in good condition and the barrel was like new . . exactly what I was expecting for a 10hr bike. I also ripped the cover off the power valve and it was ½ full of manky spooge. So that got stripped and cleaned out.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Installed RMZ front end

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Installed fresh rear guard as the original was a little wonky … I can be a bit OCD like that.

Installed for grip tape frame guards . . though I’m lunching them every ride. I need to get some more hard-core tape.

About to get ordered:

SDG tall seat

Works Connection clutch leaver and perch

Galfer - MX Oversize Suzuki Rotor Kit

Renthal Front and Rear Sprockets with Chain . . going to go up a tooth or two on the rear to use more gears and keep it on the pipe a little more :)

Looking good Gino, these two smoke Suzi's are awesome weapons. You're right, one tooth added to the rear sprocket would help 3rd gear stay on the pipe.

Edited by Cooper688

That 125 is so clean, what did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?? And would you be getting rid of the original seat since your putting a sdg on?

Hey Jaypisch67, i picked it up for AUD$3,500. I tried for AUD$3,000, but the guy wouldn't budge . . .and considering how clean it is I don't blame him.

I'll be keeping the seat, i have a thing for hoarding stock parts.

I hear ya and not to bad, that's pretty expensive from where I am From. Here is my rm 250 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406071482.799577.jpg

Nice 2-fiddy, are they Works Connection alloy frame guards?

Hey Jaypisch67, that's a tidy 250 mate.

Yeah, $3500 wasn't cheap here in OZ either, but for a bike in that condition that I'm going to keep, i was prepared to pay it.

You're going to love that SDG seat. I have one on mine. You must have never ridden a Kawasaki KX I presume? Feel like a fetus with that bike. Nice find and thanks for sharing... 

I'm very interested to hear how you like the Galfer oversize front brake setup. I have a 2006 RM125 and I'm also looking for more stopping power. 

You're going to love that SDG seat. I have one on mine. You must have never ridden a Kawasaki KX I presume? Feel like a fetus with that bike. Nice find and thanks for sharing... 

haha funny you say that. I've owned more green bikes than anything else . . thats how I know the SDG seats are a good things :)

I'm very interested to hear how you like the Galfer oversize front brake setup. I have a 2006 RM125 and I'm also looking for more stopping power. 

Will keep you posted mate.

Super clean. Great buy!

p.s. never let Cooper688 housesit for you or this is what happens:

IMG_0251.jpg

LOL!

My KTM got the same tassels treatment when camping over Easter this year!

IMG_1173_zps1b9bca3f.jpg

Love the 125! Would love a late model one to scream around the track!!

Glad you like my work millsi, It's nothing personal against KTMs! I've got one myself haha. And yes, small bores are a hoot on the track - my 150sx rips. You only live once so get yourself on a small bore 2 smoke, you won't regret it.

Edited by Cooper688

should be able to sort out your clutch issue by applying some more tension on the cable id imagine

looks super clean for an rm.

my rm250 06 cost me 2600 and it was a pile of shit, iv easy dropped another 3k into and it doesnt look half as good as yours does.

My brakes on my 250 were horrible too. I put a brembo mc on from a ktm 450 mxc instant power feels just as good as ktm brakes now.

A quick update:

I had the clutch apart this weekend and polished the basket to remove the slight notches . . . they weren’t really even notches, just slight waves in the basket. I also picked up and installed a VForce 3 reed cage :)Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to test these tweaks out yet, but I’ll be riding this weekend coming.

Hopefully I'll get my order away this week for a few other goodies.

A quick update:

I had the clutch apart this weekend and polished the basket to remove the slight notches . . . they weren’t really even notches, just slight waves in the basket. I also picked up and installed a VForce 3 reed cage :). Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to test these tweaks out yet, but I’ll be riding this weekend coming.

Hopefully I'll get my order away this week for a few other goodies.

v force reeds made a decent difference on my 250, worth the money i had to rejet mine though was rich as hell down low with them

Hey Crackhead, thanks for the heads up. I'll take my tools and jets to my next ride.

I have just ordered:

SDG tall seat

Works Connection clutch leaver and perch

Galfer - MX Oversize Suzuki Rotor Kit

Goodridge braided brake lines

Renthal Front and Rear Sprockets  (12/52 combo) and with DID ERT-2 gold chain.

Hopefully it gets here before next weekend!

Edited by 881Gino