Sign in to follow this  

Registering A used dirtbike in California

I am thinking about buying a dirtbike for my Girlfriend. it will be her first bike. I found a pretty good deal on a ttr230 for her. the only problem is that its a 2006 and hasnt been registered since 2010. i was wondering if anybody has experience with registering a used dirtbke in california? the guy has the pink slip. What forms do i need? do i have to go to the DMV or can i mail them in? any ideas about the cost? its my first time buying a used bike so i dont know about any of it. this is for california! thanks!

When I lived in CA I bought a used bike in a similar situation. Long story short I wound up having to pay a few years of non op fees on top of the normal registration fees. This was in 2011 so I doubt much has changed.

Just take the pink to the DMV and get the title transferred. AAA might do it too if you have a membership.  You will have to pay a title transfer fee ($19 I think), sales tax based on your purchase price and the back registration.  Registration is good for 2 years and is due in June of every 2nd years since the bike was originally sold and is 52 dollars for 2 years for the OHV sticker.  If the current sticker say 2010 it has missed 2 registrations.  The 52 turns into 75 with late penalties so you would be on the hook for 75 for 10-12 and 75 for 12-14 and 75 for 14-16 to bring it current  So 225 just for the registration.  Should be taken into account when you decided how much to buy it for.

The 7500 mile rule is for bringing cars or bikes in from out of state.  Has nothing to do with buying anything that has been previously registered in California.

If you have the vin you can check the fees on the DMV site. If you have AAA, you can get the stickers and pay fees at any location that does DMV. Do yourself a favor, STAY AWAY FROM CA DMV's.

• Like 1

..... Long story short I wound up having to pay a few years of non op fees on top of the normal registration fees. This was in 2011 so I doubt much has changed.

What I don't understand is why would a new owner be responsible for paying non-op fees that are clearly caused by the previous owner?

I think ca causes a lot of these types of problems because the plates stay with the vehicle.

What I don't understand is why would a new owner be responsible for paying non-op fees that are clearly caused by the previous owner?

I think ca causes a lot of these types of problems because the plates stay with the vehicle.

Well one of us was gonna have to pay it. Either me or the previous owner. I negotiated the price to make it worth while on my end. I wanted the bike and he wanted it out of his shed.

I'm really glad I do to live in CA anymore.

• Like 1

AAA will not do off-road motorcycle reg. at least not the one near me.

2012 AAA was granted the OHV sticker program in CA. if yours does not do it, then yep, yours is the only one I know of. All the 5 around me do, I called and made sure of it.

2012 AAA was revoked for registering out of state Certificate bikes. Funny, you can register a 30,000 coach from out of state, but not a 5,000 bike. Go figure, this state has its head up its A S S.

• Like 1

Well one of us was gonna have to pay it. Either me or the previous owner. I negotiated the price to make it worth while on my end. I wanted the bike and he wanted it out of his shed.

I'm really glad I do to live in CA anymore.

I get you.

I'm from NY and I'm pretty sure that would be all on the seller to cover their fees. Not even sure if they could sell w/o having everything in order.

I only bought my bike out here and it was plated when I did and all was current.

Always negotiate the deal with late "CA" fees. This is the only state that rapes it residence. AZ, I registered a bike from CA that hadn't been registered since 2009, was no late fees, and now I can ride it on the street as a DS. Yep, 2005 YZ250.... CA, suck it!!!!

It stops you from not paying the fees for years and then selling the car on paper to your wife or cousin to avoid fees. 

• Like 1

Don't buy the bike. Taking your girlfriend dirtbike riding is gonna suck. Most women are not gonna dig it, and if she does dig it, the chances of a ttr being the bike she needs is 1 in a million. Get her a new xc 300, if she don't like it you got a new bike

• Like 4

Yes I heard that and have no understanding as to why. I sold a bike to a fellow from california with lower apparent mileage than 7500 miles. I bought it used and have no history. I rode it a bit for a number of years. He wanted it more than I did. We never register dirt bikes or really worry about it. The concept of registering a dirt bike is completely foreign for us in the "heartland"

The 7500 mile rule is for bringing cars or bikes in from out of state.  Has nothing to do with buying anything that has been previously registered in California.

Lighteningquick Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. My wife started riding in her late 50's 99% dirt. She loves it. Rides a TTR125 with the Eleg. She goes great on it.

• Like 1

Why do you riders put up with that nonsense. Ask and see how other states treat their citizens rather than subjects of the monarchy of california.

It stops you from not paying the fees for years and then selling the car on paper to your wife or cousin to avoid fees. 

• Like 1

Why do you riders put up with that nonsense. Ask and see how other states treat their citizens rather than subjects of the monarchy of california.

Yah...  lets all move to Missouri...  :facepalm:

BTW - that wonderful AZ MVD charges some of the highest registration fees in the country !  YES even higher than CA.  Of course AZ doesn't collect past due CA fees... CA doesn't collect past due fees for AZ either.

Pay your fugging bills and you don't have a fugging problem....  or mail in a check for $15 and you don't have to pay your fees forever...  AZ doesn't offer that...  or here is another BRILLIANT idea...  don't buy a bike from some azz wipe that doesn't pay his bills...  cause he didn't change the oil EITHER !

So sick of people blaming others for the stupid shit YOU DO.

Edited by Jeff aka Travolta
  • Like 2

Wow Jeff,  I mention that we have a real sense of freedom and you jump all over. Maybe your wife doesn't like riding. Mine does and we do it almost daily. Start the bikes and off the back patio we go.

Please don't move to Missouri, you wouldn't fit in.

Yah...  lets all move to Missouri...  :facepalm:

BTW - that wonderful AZ MVD charges some of the highest registration fees in the country !  YES even higher than CA.  Of course AZ doesn't collect past due CA fees... CA doesn't collect past due fees for AZ either.

Pay your fugging bills and you don't have a fugging problem....  or mail in a check for $15 and you don't have to pay your fees forever...  AZ doesn't offer that...  or here is another BRILLIANT idea...  don't buy a bike from some azz wipe that doesn't pay his bills...  cause he didn't change the oil EITHER !

So sick of people blaming others for the stupid shit YOU DO.

• Like 1

Wow Jeff, I mention that we have a real sense of freedom and you jump all over. Maybe your wife doesn't like riding. Mine does and we do it almost daily. Start the bikes and off the back patio we go.

Please don't move to Missouri, you wouldn't fit in.

No you insulted CA...  that's what I was responding too... and took a little poke at Missouri...  then followed up with FACTS...  don't take shots if you can't handle some return fire my fellow rider.  

Freedom I LOVE THAT shit...  my wife rides with me from our property too...  her name is quickness...  some call her Rick.   Some think she is slow...  but Iove her just the same.

That's our house in the distance... in the oppressive state of CA as seen on the trail heading home for cheeseburgers.  Who would have thought two old queer fuggers could live and ride happily ever after together into their twilight years.  ONLY IN CA MY FRIEND...  ONLY IN CA !  

03b.jpg

Edited by Jeff aka Travolta
  • Like 1