Rm 250 won't start

I have a 89 rm250 that I picked up for $250 that won't start unless I use starting fluid and when it starts it will idle and rev until I shut it off. I have gone through the carb and checked compression tonight and it has 160psi any suggestions on what I can be causing this?

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

Could fuel/oil mixture be off? When it does start it smoke a ton

Sounds like it can't pull enough fuel through the carb into the engine when kicking it over. The starter fluids gets you going and then it runs fine after that, correct?

Possibly weak spark? I'd pull the plug and check the spark while kicking it over. Could be incorrect plug / gap or maybe even a weak stater.

Rhino I've gone through the carb completely maybe I missed something but I'm sure I cleaned out everything in it and I did verify that I has good flow from tank. But I did notice that even with starting fluid I have to hold it at WOT to get to start idk if that helps?

I checked the spark b4 removing the carb and it was a good strong blue spark

....when it starts it will idle and rev until I shut it off.

I think I miss understood this.  You saying it revs up on its own and you have to shut it down?  How long will it idle before doing this?

will it run on its own like normal once you start it with help from starter fluid?

If it takes off and revs right away..... thinking air leak.  A resulting lean mix so it may be hard starting.

If it idles for a good while then revs up you are running out of fuel in your carb.  It is getting lean before it runs completely out of gas.

Edited by RhinofromWA

Yes it will run on its own like normal just needs help getting it started, what should the pilot screw be set at

Got it going went through the carb again set pilot screw at 1 1/2 turns out and now it runs like a champ

Got it going went through the carb again set pilot screw at 1 1/2 turns out and now it runs like a champ

Glad to hear campracing1.

If you want to see if your pilot screw was the culprit put it back to where it was and see if the problem comes back.  Then at least you know it was for sure that setting. 

Edited by RhinofromWA