New Rebuild Problems?

Just had my bottom end rebuilt, (new transmission, new main bearings, pretty much everything which needed replacing, according to my mechanic)  put the bike back together, took it out  for a ride to run it in and seal the rings properly and noticed that when in fifth under load, it kept popping out of gear into nuetral, and 4th. Also selecting 1st nuetral and second just seems to be abit loose, as if everything is slipping if you will. Any explanations for this.

(my clutch is not fully adjusted nor is the chain slack, possibly too much)

Just had my bottom end rebuilt, (new transmission, new main bearings, pretty much everything which needed replacing, according to my mechanic) put the bike back together, took it out for a ride to run it in and seal the rings properly and noticed that when in fifth under load, it kept popping out of gear into nuetral, and 4th. Also selecting 1st nuetral and second just seems to be abit loose, as if everything is slipping if you will. Any explanations for this.

(my clutch is not fully adjusted nor is the chain slack, possibly too much)

If you are sure you are fully shifting between gears... Then not a normal thing, not a "break in" thing.

i should have mentioned that when i am in fifth, if i hold my foot under the gear pedal, and constantly lift up, then it will hold the gear.

Off the top of my head (and looking at 2 DRZ motors Im in the process of building) I cant think of anything that could be installed worng and have symptoms you describe. 

Worn, bent, damaged... yes.. just wrong assembly.. no.

Possibly a loose bolt that hods the shift detent cam to the shift drum. Or missing the alignment pin???

I guess I should ask, is this a new problem that just developed since the rebuild or was it doing it before?

Possibly a loose bolt that hods the shift detent cam to the shift drum. Or missing the alignment pin???

I guess I should ask, is this a new problem that just developed since the rebuild or was it doing it before?

Noble 

I tried the loose bolt idea... and it had to be almost falling out before it would induce the issues the OP noted.. Not the pin missing.. Did not think of that.

Off the top of my head (and looking at 2 DRZ motors Im in the process of building) I cant think of anything that could be installed worng and have symptoms you describe. 

Worn, bent, damaged... yes.. just wrong assembly.. no.

well i had a whole transmission replaced, the main bearing went which cause the countershaft oil seal to go, and pieces from the bearing messed the transmission up, so got a replacement put in, looked pristine before going in, literally the whole gearbox not just the shafts. surely if the had been anything bent, damaged, my mechanic would of said something?

My bike is a 07 though, and i had a 08 gearbox replacement, it was second hand but only had 600 miles on it, i inspected it and it looked very good. Surely this isn't a factor?

This is a new problem, did not experience this before the rebuild, started happening as soon as i took it out to set the rings.

It is going to take partial to full disassembly to find the problem.  These motors do not have a history of popping out of gear.  Something is wrong.

When you say "main bearing" you seem to be referring to the transmission countershaft left side bearing not the crankshaft main bearing, right?  Why would a used transmission only have 600 miles on it?  Would be interesting to see some pictures when it is apart again.

Seems odd that you needed a full transmission when only 1 bearing was bad.  Did the motor have a ton of miles on it and everything was just warn out?

• Like 1

It is going to take partial to full disassembly to find the problem.  These motors do not have a history of popping out of gear.  Something is wrong.

When you say "main bearing" you seem to be referring to the transmission countershaft left side bearing not the crankshaft main bearing, right?  Why would a used transmission only have 600 miles on it?  Would be interesting to see some pictures when it is apart again.

Seems odd that you needed a full transmission when only 1 bearing was bad.  Did the motor have a ton of miles on it and everything was just warn out?

These are the part numbers for the two bearings, sorry i don't know what was replaced exactly (these parts are brand new oem). The ad did not state the reason, but there could be multiple. Not sure i could get pictures of the inside really but i will try to post if i get the opportunity. I wrote earlier in the posts that one of the bearings had broken up and wrecked part of the transmission, mainly the 3rd drive and driven. The bottom end had around 15000 miles on it, but i think the reason it broke was because gas/petrol had gotten into the oil, but i don't know for sure.

The main thing i am wondering at the moment is if my mechanic has the responsibility to repair this, as i have an invoice of the work carried out, but he only worked on the bottom end, i rebuilt the rest of it, this is because the garage is about 10miles and i have no trailer. 

These are the part numbers for the two bearings, sorry i don't know what was replaced exactly (these parts are brand new oem). The ad did not state the reason, but there could be multiple. Not sure i could get pictures of the inside really but i will try to post if i get the opportunity. I wrote earlier in the posts that one of the bearings had broken up and wrecked part of the transmission, mainly the 3rd drive and driven. The bottom end had around 15000 miles on it, but i think the reason it broke was because gas/petrol had gotten into the oil, but i don't know for sure.

The main thing i am wondering at the moment is if my mechanic has the responsibility to repair this, as i have an invoice of the work carried out, but he only worked on the bottom end, i rebuilt the rest of it, this is because the garage is about 10miles and i have no trailer. 

Those bearings are Part number 22 & 25 below

18982_21.gif

i have returned the bike back to the mechanic, he will now open it back up and inspect.

Does anyone know if the is any changes with gear boxes from any of the drz 400 models? mainly the sm models as i changed it with a 2008sm, original is a 2007 sm.

• 2 weeks later...

just a little update:

Got the bike back and the gearing is sweet so far, the problem was 1 or both of the gear shafts were apparently slightly too long so they had to be shaved. it now changes gear better than it has ever, in my possession.  I now have a hanging idle issue which is strange as it was working sweet until the rebuild, also to add insult to injury one of the showa fork seals have gone ? I hate my bike..

just a little update:

Got the bike back and the gearing is sweet so far, the problem was 1 or both of the gear shafts were apparently slightly too long so they had to be shaved..

Ahhh

While anything is possible

Most things are not likely

Having to "shave the shafts" falls in to the second category