Sign in to follow this  

Best Dual sport?

Hey my dad's getting back into riding again. He wants a bike he can ride on the trails but still be a comfortable commuter. He is not looking to spend a lot of money. Definantly used. Reliability is the biggest thing. Just want to know what is the best all around but still reliable.

Thank you

Love my drz400 supermoto. Does ok on basic to intermediate trails with the street tires. It's a blast ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405998892.014788.jpg

• Like 1

My vote on the DR-Z400 also. I have one and I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

Something between a trial's bike with a lic plate and a GS BMW.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. How are the wr250r's? Are they underpowered and being a smaller engine doesit require more maintenance?

Thanks for all the replies. How are the wr250r's? Are they underpowered and being a smaller engine doesit require more maintenance?

Suzuki: DR350 DR 200 DRZ400S DRZ400SM Dr650 V-strom

Kawasaki: KLX250 KLR650 and Versys

Yamaha:  WR250R WR250X TW200 XT250 and the Super Tenere

Honda: CRF250L XR650L NC700X and CB500X

the big four don't appeal to you? I got you coveredicon1.png.

KTM:  300EXC-F  500EXC  690 Enduro R  1190 Adventure and Avdentrue R

BMW: G650 F700 F800 R1200 GS

Husqvarna (Husky):  FE250 FE350 FE501 (used: TE610 TE450)

Ducati (yes, I know): Hypermotard and Multistrada

Husaberg (needs lighting kit): FE400 FE450 FE550 FE570 FE650

Still not to your taste? lets try something a little more unique

GasGas: TX125  TX200   EC Cami-250

Beta: 500RS  400RS  450RS  520RS

ATK: 450Enduro

Pitster Pro:  XTR T4 250SC and 250LC

none of those capable enough for you? check this dual sport out. this will take the world by storm in the coming years

Christini AWD motorcyclesicon1.pnghttp://www.christini.com/

AWD 450 DS,  AWD 450 ME (military), AWD 450 SM

my friend, you have so much to read......please, google a while and listen.

of these picks, I would stick with a few select bikesicon1.png, my recommendations are these: WR250R, its a six-speed unlike any other 250 before it. fully capable of highway speeds, albiet its lightness susceptable to wind i would bet, unless you loaded it down with gear and in that case, it took a guy all the way to the tip of South America and back. 30,000 mile trip. read here: http://www.basherdes...es-on-a-wr250r/

the DRZ-400 (heavily modified): I personally own one of these, and they are a great bike AFTER you reign them in, tune them up and perfect them to your needs. they require a lot of work to get started, but new ones behave well as long as you tune that god awful carb for you altitude. it makes all the difference. the gear ratios are narrow, but that keeps you in power. If your not racing though, might opt for the ACT gears (im doing that this winter). great bike, if you put some work into it. consider the showroom a platform on which you should build from.

I would not recommendicon1.png the KLR650 if you plan on strictly pavement. the great thing about that big pig of a bike is that it WILL go off roading. if your not taking it off road, there are better options. The Versys comes to mind, as well as anything from BMW.

BMW800 GS -- little brother to the 1200 GS that went around the world with Ewan McGregor. this bike has the comfort the KLR doesn't.

the WR250, DRZ-400, KLR650, and BMWs have all been on massive journeys. with the exception of the WR250, all have been taken on around the world trips, several on the DRZ-400 and BMWs. JAy leno road the KLR650 and the KLR250 around the world. They are great bikes, but like the DRZ-400, your going to want to modify them.

take your pick man, there is PLENTY of fish in this growing sea.

DID I MENTION THE ALL WHELL DRIVE CHRISTINI?!?!?!!!

• Like 3

Thanks for all the info. Really helped

either ask me on here or send me a PM if you have any questions. I've been researching all dual sports since January, non-stop in my free time trying to decide on which one will be best for my girl. I have looked at EVERYTHING lol...I can get obsessive when it comes to research.

for your girl? if she's not experienced low seat height and estart, XT DR crfL, buy used in case she doesn't catch the bug

It will really come down to the percentage of what your dad will use it mostly for. If it were say 90% dirt 10% street i would vote for the ktm 500 exc if you can even find a used one. But really you need to figure out how your dad mostly plans to use it and then from there you can better narrow down which one you want. Good luck

• Like 1

Probly 20% road 80% dirt. And has to be extremely reliable. That's what worries me about the ktms

Probly 20% road 80% dirt. And has to be extremely reliable. That's what worries me about the ktms

XR250 or 400...plated. Old tech, dead reliable, & affordable.

Also then how much are you or he willing to spend? The old xr 400 or 250 are very reliable but no electric start on those. The drz 400 would be a very good choice. Especially the electric start dirt version plated for minimal street use. Also a yamaha wr 450 or 250 converted to street use. They have a very good reputation for being reliable. Also the crf 450x or 250x plated would be very good. The hondas had some valve issues at one time but i think that has been blown way out of proportion.

If i were in that position though i would more than likely go with a drz 400 that is already plated or just make the street legal version more dirt worthy.

either ask me on here or send me a PM if you have any questions. I've been researching all dual sports since January, non-stop in my free time trying to decide on which one will be best for my girl. I have looked at EVERYTHING lol...I can get obsessive when it comes to research.

350exc

The KLR would be a great choice. Lot of aftermarket crap available.  If you do any dirt at all, get knobbies for it.  It only takes one choice rut or mudpatch to toss you over on crossover tires. 

But, the KLR is a pig.  The first suggestion would be a great bike if something lighter, but relatively full-sized is wanted (the Suzuki DR 400).  Lighter, smaller, and shorter. 

The KLR would be a great choice. Lot of aftermarket crap available. If you do any dirt at all, get knobbies for it. It only takes one choice rut or mudpatch to toss you over on crossover tires.

But, the KLR is a pig. The first suggestion would be a great bike if something lighter, but relatively full-sized is wanted (the Suzuki DR 400). Lighter, smaller, and shorter.

My dad started ona KLR650 following me and my DRZ after 30 years absent from dirtbikes and motorcycles. Its been great for him.
  • Like 1

If KTM wasnt maintenance heavy and overpriced i would considet it.....or are they more reasonable used?

They ain't maintenance heavy. Those who don't own them say shit like that. I know guys with 350s that have 450+hrs of hard riding with nothing more then 1 piston change and a few valve check but no adjustments...