Ktm 500 leaking oil out of filter cover

I have a 2012 ktm 500. I recently over torqued the lower oil filter cover bolt. It was fine for a while and thought I fixed it. Oil doesn't leak while idle or revved up. Went for a ride and checked it periodically to see if it leaked. I got about 12 miles into my ride and looked down to see oil all over the place. It had started leaking from the lower bolt area of the oil filter cover. I went and got the next size bigger bolt. Tapped it out put the new bolt in and made sure it could be tightened. Went for a test ride for a couple miles today and noticed a small seep from the same area. Bolt seems very tight and secure. I am afraid to take it out, in fear of being stranded. Could I need a new oil filter o-ring? Anyone had this problem before? Please help?

Edited by tchrist

those bolts have nothing to do with sealing so unless you stripped one out, I don't know why you retapped it larger.  Too late now.  

I would take a look at the O ring and make sure there are no nicks or pinches on it.  That o ring is the only thing that seals there.  Also, make sure the mating surfaces that the oring rides on are clean from debris and casting flaws.

• Like 1

I have a 2012 ktm 500. I recently over torqued the lower oil filter cover bolt. It was fine for a while and thought I fixed it. Oil doesn't leak while idle or revved up. Went for a ride and checked it periodically to see if it leaked. I got about 12 miles into my ride and looked down to see oil all over the place. It had started leaking from the lower bolt area of the oil filter cover. I went and got the next size bigger bolt. Tapped it out put the new bolt in and made sure it could be tightened. Went for a test ride for a couple miles today and noticed a small seep from the same area. Bolt seems very tight and secure. I am afraid to take it out, in fear of being stranded. Could I need a new oil filter o-ring? Anyone had this problem before? Please help?

Use the tool set that came with the bike,the T handle can safe you from over tighting the 8mm bolts. Snug them up with the short side of the handle or buy a small torque wrench.