Looking for some lighting advice

Ok first off let me start by saying I'm brand new here but I've been lurking for a while and have found some good info. I have a 2002 yz125 that I recently was able to register as a street legal bike. I'm trying to retrofit it with lighting for riding at night. I was planning on using the tusk led kit with the led taillight blinkers etc (don't draw a whole lot of power) and i would like to use 2 10w led lights side x side for a headlight. What I'm looking for is advice on what kind of battery I will be able to fit in the air box that will give me maximum usage time of the lights. I thought about going the upgraded stator route but it seems complicated and a stator for my bike isn't easy to come by. If anyone could lend some advice that would be much appreciated. I'm not very good when it comes to knowledge about batteries themselves or what I would need. I'm looking to get at least a few hours of lighting time if possible. Thanks for any help!

I was running a 12v 10ah NiMh battery in my supermoto setup I had on my kx250f. It's a pain to have to change battery's and keep charging them ect. Had a full led setup and battery lasted maybe 90 min before it started to drop voltage, just barely fit in the airbox, And batteries were 100 bucks a piece

Edited by Bazuka Joe

If i were you i wouldnt use the tusk kit. Theyre very expensive and if you buy each component yourself and wire it yourself youll save at least 100-150 bucks. You can buy a universal regulator/rectifier that you can splice into your stock harness between your stator and the battery. This will keep your battery charged and wont tax your stator too badly if you run LED lights and eapecially if you dont use them all the time. Just make sure you have a good battery. Shouldnt be too difficult just do your homework as to the exact type of regulator/rectifier you need for your bike. Good luck

If i were you i wouldnt use the tusk kit. Theyre very expensive and if you buy each component yourself and wire it yourself youll save at least 100-150 bucks. You can buy a universal regulator/rectifier that you can splice into your stock harness between your stator and the battery. This will keep your battery charged and wont tax your stator too badly if you run LED lights and eapecially if you dont use them all the time. Just make sure you have a good battery. Shouldnt be too difficult just do your homework as to the exact type of regulator/rectifier you need for your bike. Good luck

• Like 1

It's a yz125...there is no battery, and the stator only has enough juice for the spark. He's going to have to buy a wiring harness and wire it all up

Im fully aware of that.. thats why he'd have to buy something like this

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-ag801/

These should have plenty of amp storage to run led lights even with a stock stator charging it. And just run everything from the battery. Its worked fine for me so far.

Did you have a regulator/rectifier on your kxf or did you just run your lights off a stationary battery?

I would just buy something like that 9AH battery linked above and put that in the airbox. Then I'd run all LED setup like you suggested. If you keep the headlight to around 20w then you're entire system will net you around 2.5 to 3 hours of run time. I'd just attach a quick access charge cable to the subframe to make for easier charging once you get home. The airbox in the yz has plenty of room for the right battery. If you want more run time or light output then you'll need to spend more money or compromise somewhere.

Edited by kan3

W

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151326759482?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I was wondering if something like these would work myself , not on the road but a couple hours on a trail.

Well here's your answer my friend, not worth it at all. It's the same battery you posted.

http://ve2zaz.net/blog/index.php?/archives/13-A-too-good-to-be-true-6800-mAh-Li-Ion-12V-battery-pack....html

ok so i talked to the guys over at rickystator and they told me they know of no stator on the market for my bike so i would have to go with battery power. very helpful guys. he recommended the baja designs led headlight and what looks to be a trail tech battery but when i open the link he sent it goes to the trail tech website but says it can't be found so i'm not sure. 

Big red i priced out all components through ebay which almost always is the cheapest and i came up with about 120 which doesn't include wiring like the tusk kit does for 170... 50 bucks is 50 bucks but not the 100-150 you claimed in savings. is there something i'm missing? i'm not a moron when it comes to wiring something but idk if its worth aggravation for 50 bucks... i'm also not exactly sure what you're referring to when you suggested splicing in a regulator/ rectifier into my stock stator wiring.

I would just buy something like that 9AH battery linked above and put that in the airbox. Then I'd run all LED setup like you suggested. If you keep the headlight to around 20w then you're entire system will net you around 2.5 to 3 hours of run time. I'd just attach a quick access charge cable to the subframe to make for easier charging once you get home. The airbox in the yz has plenty of room for the right battery. If you want more run time or light output then you'll need to spend more money or compromise somewhere.

If a 9ah battery would net me that much time i could probably go with something like that. i was planning on 20w for the headlight and whatever the tusk tail light draws plus the occasional flash of the brake light and blinkers but thats incredibly minuscule. i planned on putting some quick connect for charging if thats the route i took.

Once it drops below 12v that light is going to be dim as hell

which light are you referring to? and thanks for all the great input.

I use batteries for my night time offroad races

what kind of batteries and lighting are you using and what kind of run time are you getting of your setup?

I have a Cyclops set up. But I think you could build one yourself cheaper.

you talking about the helmet lights or an actual fix mounted light? if fix mounted what battery are you using?

Thinking back i exagerated a little bit my bad. Yea if you want more of just a plug in type deal that looks good and is easier def go that rout.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=4659018&Click=35177

Hook one of these bad boys up between your stator and battery n you should be fine

i happen to stumble across stealthy off road when i was researching your suggestion so i decided to give them a call... they said i wouldn't receive any output if i put a regulator/rectifier on my stock stator but they have stators with lighting coils for my bike with an output of about 45 watts... the only down fall is i would have to put in regulator/rectifier and a battery to run my initial setup of the LEDs i was hoping to run. 

i happen to stumble across stealthy off road when i was researching your suggestion so i decided to give them a call... they said i wouldn't receive any output if i put a regulator/rectifier on my stock stator but they have stators with lighting coils for my bike with an output of about 45 watts... the only down fall is i would have to put in regulator/rectifier and a battery to run my initial setup of the LEDs i was hoping to run. [/quote

The stator they are referring to is a cheep And are known to break and leave you stranded from what I understand. I have read a lot about them and I have seen enough about them breaking over and over that I stayed away and just went with a total loss lighting system when I did my kx250f