CRF250X?

Hi guys, I was just looking for some opinions

This fall I am looking to purchase a bigger dirt bike, (I ride a 2003 CRF150F as of now) and I was wondering if I should get a CRF250X. I am looking for a bike that will last me a while, without having to get a new one in a few years for more power. I am 14 years old, weigh 150lbs, and I'm 5'9". I also have friends who ride 250X's and I really like the bike.

Any thoughts on other bikes of similar size for the same purposes? I only do trail riding but it is fairly open but parts can get very technical. I feel like my 150 just isn't cutting it

Thanks

I ride a 04 250x. Great bike just be ready to maintain it. Oil change every 8-14 hours, valve adjustment and a new top end every year depending on how much you ride. I love my 250 it's fast, great suspension, good torque and it's e-start and kick. But if your looking for a low maintenance bike with decent power and good handling get the crf230f.

Also, what is a price I should try to look for that is good?

250x where I live prices from 2000-3000

Really all you have to do is lower the bike to get better handling.

Edited by Brendantherider

Lowering the bike to much can mess up the turning. You can lower it by suspension.

Definetly I for the 250x you will not want to ride a crf150f or 230f after about the first month. No power and horrible non adjustable suspension. Get the 250X and keep it in its stock choked up form until you are used to the power then do the CCC mods.

I am 26 years old 6'3" tall 140 lbs. Like I suggested I started with a stock X. Once I got used to the power I did the CCC mods and when I finally wanted even more than that I swapped in the R head, piston, and cam and installed an aftermarket exhaust system. The bike is perfect now. I have had my X for 6 years and have put over 430 hours on it. I still really enjoy riding it and will never sell it.

Edited by ScootMcGoot

Definetly I for the 250x you will not want to ride a crf150f or 230f after about the first month. No power and horrible non adjustable suspension. Get the 250X and keep it in its stock choked up form until you are used to the power then do the CCC mods.

I am 26 years old 6'3" tall 140 lbs. Like I suggested I started with a stock X. Once I got used to the power I did the CCC mods and when I finally wanted even more than that I swapped in the R head, piston, and cam and installed an aftermarket exhaust system. The bike is perfect now. I have had my X for 6 years and have put over 430 hours on it. I still really enjoy riding it and will never sell it.

how often so you do valve adjustment

how often so you do valve adjustment

My stock cylinder head made it 230 hours before the right intake zero'd out. I re-shimmed twice after that and then put the 250r head on with stock TI intakes and steel exhausts. I now have roughly 200 hours on that 250r head and valves have not moved.

When I first bought the bike I was checking the valves every 15 hours and when I realized they were not moving I stopped checking. No issues whatsoever until I hit that 230 hour mark.

I wanna learn how to do valve adjustment. Any good videos?

Several write ups and videos.  Do a forum search on this and the CRF450 forum.