Sign in to follow this  

XCRW 530 for Motocross

Hey guys I had a question,

I recently picked up a 2008 530 XCRW and I would like to try it out on the motocross track.

My question is-would this bike handle the track alright and land alright on flat table tops if I weren't able to clear 60 footers.

Would tightening the suspension make it that much better? The suspension would still be far from where it would need to be to be like a motocross bike I assume? I am 6'3 and 215 if that helps.

Sorry for the noob question. Thanks guys.

At your weight, suspension is a must. My 500 stock was set up for a 180 pound rider. I'm 215 without gear and went up a spring weight on both ends and can't be any happier with the results.

At your weight, suspension is a must. My 500 stock was set up for a 180 pound rider. I'm 215 without gear and went up a spring weight on both ends and can't be any happier with the results.

So you're saying either way I should get new springs even if I do trail riding?

Just fork springs or also rear springs?

And what kind of springs would you suggest for trail and motocross?

How much am I looking to spend on new springs? $100, $1000? sorry I have no ide: (

So you're saying either way I should get new springs even if I do trail riding?

Just fork springs or also rear springs?

And what kind of springs would you suggest for trail and motocross?

How much am I looking to spend on new springs? $100, $1000? sorry I have no ide: (

Yes, you should get new springs front and rear because the stock springs are not stiff enough for a 200+ rider. Talk to a suspension tech about what springs to get, I went up 1 rating on both front and with a progressive on the rear for trail riding. My local shop did all the work for around $700.

Yeh stock springs really are not good over 180 even, thats pushing it.  re-spring it and start there, you can do that yourself if your hand.  I had this bike and it is a great trail bike.  Track, well the gearing wont be close to right and it really isnt designed for track but you can ride it there, I wouldnt count on being competitive however, it just isnt desinged like like, it isnt fast reving and the gearing is spaced way out from comparison to a MX bike.  If your in for a whole suspension job your looking like mentioned already $700-$1000, springs front and back at about $150 so $300 total.  But the bike will never ride right if you dont spring it for your riding weight.  Check race tech as they have an online calculator for the springs.  Call Stillwell or Full Factory Offroad if interested in a complete suspension job, I know both and they are quality outfits.