Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X?

Hi guys, I was just looking for some opinions

This fall I am looking to purchase a bigger dirt bike, (I ride a 2003 CRF150F as of now) and I was wondering if I should get a CRF250X. I am looking for a bike that will last me a while, without having to get a new one in a few years for more power. I am 14 years old, weigh 150lbs, and I'm 5'9". I also have friends who ride 250X's and I really like the bike.

Any thoughts on other bikes of similar size for the same purposes? I only do trail riding but it is fairly open but parts can get very technical. I feel like my 150 just isn't cutting it for what I do

Thanks

The X's are good all around bike.  I don't think you'd go wrong with a 250 and it would last you a number of years.   The bikes are sprung from the factory for 160lb rider and I've seen guys 220-230 riding them.

There's also a lot of them around, good after market, and many that service them, all of which is good for those on a budget.   They are however a *racing bike* and maintenance and cost to maintain is commensurate with that.  If you want a "it never breaks" bike, look to something else.  Of course it will ride totally different as well.

Given that you've already ridden one and like it, sounds to me like you already have your mind made up.

Jim.

The 250x is a solid bike. You won't go wrong with it. When buying one look for the newest one you can afford or one that.has had the valves changed to stainless steel on an older one.

Other bikes to think about would be Wr250 or any 125 2 stroke. KTM makes several 250 f's as well that are good bikes.

I just bought one a couple months ago and I like its wide ratio transmission vs the tight gears of its 250r brother. Trail riding is fun with the extra power to pull hard up hills and come out of sandy turns. I hated trail riding on my 2 stroke, you would think I was sawing logs the way that thing sounded due to its chainsaw engine lol. Anyhow its stronger than a 125 2stroke so dont go and get a bike with an engine that is fading away. You will love the way it sounds with an fmf pipe, and a set of fasst co. Flexx bars to soften those blows to your wrist. Little dude I hope the best and for real dont go buy a freaking 2 stroke dinosaur, 4 is king.

I am mostly a KTM rider...well 3 out of 4 of my bikes are KTM's.  My 4th is the 250X and it remains near and dear.  It came to me used with a Rekluse, which really sweetens the deal on the goat-pathy stuff we ride a lot.  It has plenty of power and does what it's asked without griping.  I also prefer the wider ratio gearing.  That translates to a very useable 1st gear for the tights.

I am mostly a KTM rider...well 3 out of 4 of my bikes are KTM's.  My 4th is the 250X and it remains near and dear.  It came to me used with a Rekluse, which really sweetens the deal on the goat-pathy stuff we ride a lot.  It has plenty of power and does what it's asked without griping.  I also prefer the wider ratio gearing.  That translates to a very useable 1st gear for the tight

The 250X is a great upgrade and will last you a while.  I bought one for my daughter she had a 150 F also, but I went the Cheap route, and it cost me quite a bit more than expected. I bought a well used 2004 250X for $1000.  But  I spent close to $2000 to get it running right.  it needed complete engine rebuild. i knew it needed complete valve job ( did most of it my self except cutting the seats) and it still cost me almost $700 with Kibble white intake valves, seats, clips & springs.   Then I found excess movement in the crank, replaced that crank & bearings with a complete kit another $ 600 installed + piston & rings $200 then changed the timing chain $40, then I noticed a dent and slight leak out of the right radiator, replaced that $120 (ebay) and while at it replaced the worn tires $200, throttle tube $40, grips and clutch plates $120.  all in all around $2000 extra.  So take it from experience.  Do not buy the cheapest bike, buy the newest you can afford with service receipts and in a very "Clean" condition and check everything.  My daughters bikei s great now, but it cost a lot more than the $1000 I set aside to fix it up.

250x is a great bike but needs lots of maintenance.  A 150f or 230F you can change the oil once a year and check the valves every 3-4 years and be fine.  the 150F or 230F will probably never even need the piston replaced during the life of the bike.

Contrast that to the 250X where the recommended oil change interval is probably every 10-15 hours.  Pull the tank and the valve cover and check the valves specs then too.  And I think Honda recommends piston and ring replacement about every 15 hours for competition use.  If you are not riding it on the rev limiter, you can probably get more time out of the piston. But if the piston goes bad, then you are talking about replacing the cylinder/jug also.  Sounds like BETHUMPED bought a used 250X that did not get the regular maintenance done to it so it ended up with really high costs.