Alternate case splitter

So I'm about to replace crank bearing for the first time on a 99 cr125 and I didn't buy a case splitter. So I read some where that you can rent pullers from some auto part stores but I don't know what kind of puller will work like a splitter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So I'm about to replace crank bearing for the first time on a 99 cr125 and I didn't buy a case splitter. So I read some where that you can rent pullers from some auto part stores but I don't know what kind of puller will work like a splitter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a tusk one from Rocky Mountain for 60 bucks, and ive only ever needed it once. Go to Home Depot or a store alike and pick up a mallet with a rubber and or plastic tip and you should be able to get the cases apart

• Like 1

Harmonic Balancer puller can be purchased for around $20 at most automotive stores. Then you just have to buy three M6 or M8 bolts to match the bolt holes that your stator mounts to. Works great:

Kx-rebuild1_zps7c220cda.jpg

• Like 3

If the mallet you buy is rubber or plastic, only way I could see any damage being done is if for some reason you got carried away didn't tap them apart evenly..? Which is kind of hard to do.

No prying, a lot of patience if there really Sealed together, and it will come apart

Harmonic Balancer puller can be purchased for around $20 at most automotive stores. Then you just have to buy three M6 or M8 bolts to match the bolt holes that your stator mounts to. Works great:

Kx-rebuild1_zps7c220cda.jpg

That looks like it would work great! Thanks. Any tips on getting the bearings in and out?

That looks like it would work great! Thanks. Any tips on getting the bearings in and out?

Give the cases a good wash, then put the case halves in the oven @ 230 degrees for 1/2 an hour. The larger bearings should just drop out of the case, the small ones will need some more effort. You may need a small blind bearing puller to get the smallest bearings aka water pump and powervalve governor bearings.

When installing you will again heat the cases as before and freeze the bearings. You can use the old bearings as bearing drivers with a hammer to seat the new bearings. Only impact on the outer race...doing so on the inner race will damage the bearing. The largest bearings will be the easiest.

Good luck ?

Edited by Fattonz

So would you recommend a press or beating them out/in?

Personally, I would do them by hand...but I guess that's easy for me to say since I don't have a press. I have avoided buying a press because I have been able to do everything with homemade drivers/pullers... However, if I had access to a press I would probably try it...

I would never use a press for bearings in bike engine cases. In fact I basically wouldn't press anything on a dirtbike short of seized axle or swingarm bolts. They don't offer fine enough control to prevent damage. Proper application of heat, cold and hammer is the way to go.

• Like 1