Fumes getting me sick while riding

What's going on? So yesturday I was racing a my 5th harescramble and for the 2nd time I got very sick while racing due to exhaust fumes. Mostly the 2 stroke fumes. I felt good for the first half hour or so but then I started feeling naucious. First lap was pretty bad, threw up once and started getting a very bad headache. Decided to push and do more though. 2nd lap my headache got much worse and 3/4 through I was on my knees throwing up. This only seems to happen in tougher races not so much the more open ones with less traffic. Anyone else have this problem? Anyway to prevent it? Thanks guys!

Non drowsy chewable gravol.

My suggestion.

I'm very sorry to tell you this, I wish I didn't have such bad news to bear... but... you're allergic to dirtbikes, or as some call it "dirtbike intolerant".

JK  :goofy: I'm not sure what would cause that, is it other rider's fumes, or your own?  If it's your own, then you've got an exhaust leak somewhere

I'm very sorry to tell you this, I wish I didn't have such bad news to bear... but... you're allergic to dirtbikes, or as some call it "dirtbike intolerant".

JK :goofy: I'm not sure what would cause that, is it other rider's fumes, or your own? If it's your own, then you've got an exhaust leak somewhere

I got worried for a sec. Haha. It's the other riders. Cause when I ride in a small group or by myself I'm fine.

I got worried for a sec. Haha. It's the other riders. Cause when I ride in a small group or by myself I'm fine.

Weird.  I guess you'll have to leave them behind and make them inhale your fumes instead

Are you sure you're not pregnant?

Jk, but seriously, IDK for sure but I'm thinking you are getting a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Hemoglobin is the protein in the blood that transports oxygen and carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide binds to the blood in the same way that oxygen and carbon dioxide do, only when it does it is a stronger bond, so it won't let go when it is time to offload. This means the molecule of hemoglobin is now useless for transport of either oxygen or carbon dioxide. When lots of them get knocked out you start to get sick. The initial symptoms are headache followed by dizziness and nausea.

For treatment you could get tested for anemia and anything else the doctor might suggest. Anemia (low red blood cell count) can be caused by a lot of things, it's not just a chick's problem. Other than that make sure your diet is very low in coffee, energy drinks and high in red meat and fruit and vegetables. Then do fitness training like running, MTB, swimming, something that builds up the efficiency of your heart and ability of your blood to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide. 

Other than that your body will turn over the red blood cells with the ruined hemoglobin (I think that's how it gets fixed). In four months every single red blood cell in your body will have been replaced. 

Edited by stinkwheels

Are you sure you're not pregnant?

Jk, but seriously, IDK for sure but I'm thinking you are getting a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Hemoglobin is the protein in the blood that transports oxygen and carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide binds to the blood in the same way that oxygen and carbon dioxide do, only when it does it is a stronger bond, so it won't let go when it is time to offload. This means the molecule of hemoglobin is now useless for transport of either oxygen or carbon dioxide. When lots of them get knocked out you start to get sick. The initial symptoms are headache followed by dizziness and nausea.

For treatment you could get tested for your hemoglobin levels, in case you have a bit of anemia and anything else the doctor might suggest. Anemia (low red blood cell count) can be caused by a lot of things, it's not just a chick's problem. Other than that make sure your diet is very low in coffee, energy drinks and high in red meat and fruit and vegetables. Then do fitness training like running, MTB, swimming, something that builds up the efficiency of your heart and ability of your blood to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Other than that you just have to wait for your body to turn over the red blood cells with the ruined hemoglobin. It will be four months when every single red blood cell in your body has been replaced.

Thanks for the reply. I was lost in the first paragraph haha. I work out a lot drink almost all water and eat a lot of meat, fruits, and vegetables. Maybe I'll get tested for that hemoglobin thing. And pregnancy of course.

To be honest it sounds like you get migraine. The smells may not be causing the problems but they are present when you get them. Kind of like if you ever go deep sea fishing and get sea sick. You swear the diesel fumes cat the back of the boat are making you sick but you are sick from the motion and the fumes just compound it. I would try treating it like a migraine. Drink lots of water. Relax. Maybe take an advil or an aspirin as a premier strike and try that. I know lots of people that get nausea when they get a migraine.

To be honest it sounds like you get migraine. The smells may not be causing the problems but they are present when you get them. Kind of like if you ever go deep sea fishing and get sea sick. You swear the diesel fumes cat the back of the boat are making you sick but you are sick from the motion and the fumes just compound it. I would try treating it like a migraine. Drink lots of water. Relax. Maybe take an advil or an aspirin as a premier strike and try that. I know lots of people that get nausea when they get a migraine.

Maybe. But I only feel this way when I ride. I'm sure the heat didn't help but I'm pretty sure it's the fumes. I ride a lot by myself or at a track with less people and I still get a small headache, nothin major. But now that you mention it I do remember getting sick once after riding mx on the way home. Had a headache too. I also have gotten sea sick before but it was a completely different feeling.

I got another idea: get a moderator to move this thread to the Dr Mark part of the forum. 

Thumpertalk > General > General Forums > Health & Fitness

See what he thinks and go from there. Being a doctor it's probably something he's seen more than a few times before.

Edited by stinkwheels

I got another idea: get a moderator to move this thread to the Dr Mark part of the forum.

Thumpertalk > General > General Forums > Health & Fitness

See what he thinks and go from there. Being a doctor it's probably something he's seen more than a few times before.

Ok thanks. Will do.

Wait how do I do that?

Might I suggest leading the race?

The fresh air is better from up front.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Wow wounds interesting, sucks for you man.  I've never had this issue, and I've been in the thick of race traffic for entire races without becoming nauseated.  

Consider your breathing habits while behind other riders (and us smoker two cycle bums).. try to breathe less perhaps?  Catch your breath after there aren't any tailpipes directly in front of ya?  Let us know how this goes, I'm curious what kind of fix you find.

Won't be happening anytime soon. Haha.

that is an asshat thing to post

sure is funny though :lol:

Yeah  man I did a dual sport earlier this year and at the first bottle neck the fumes were truly wild. These guys and there fruity smelling shit they put in the tanks. Made me feel like I was in a bad dream. Few more minutes and I would have wretched. The heat didn't help or the 30 pack the night before...that certainly didn't help.

Moved for you