Sign in to follow this  

How precise are you with your oil measurements?

Hey,

Just wondering how precise everyone is when it comes to engine oil for your bike?

I run Motul 7100 Fully Synthetic 4T motor oil in a 1 liter bottle, and my service manual suggests I should be putting 1.08 liters oil in (when changing filter also).
Is it really a big deal that the last .08 doesn't go in?

Does anyone else do this or are you the opposite and get out the measuring cup?

10% variation is not a make or break big deal. However because these race engines hold so little oil, I usually try to dump in the correct amount. Most oil bottles have measurement tics. 100cc is easy to do, it is like 4 ounces.

I break out the measuring cup. Better safe than sorry. Is it likely that .08 that you're leaving out will cause an issue? Probably not, but why take the chance just to save you a few minutes while doing maintenance.

My KTM has a clear sight plug that's supposed to be between 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up, but when I add what the manual recommends the plug is completely covered. Regardless, I go by the manual, but not to the exact cc. That said, I'd sooner deal with the reprocusions of adding a few extra cc's over not enough.

• Like 1

You have to remember ,there will be residual oil left in the engine when you drain it.

Good point.

• Like 1

Hey,

Just wondering how precise everyone is when it comes to engine oil for your bike?

I run Motul 7100 Fully Synthetic 4T motor oil in a 1 liter bottle, and my service manual suggests I should be putting 1.08 liters oil in (when changing filter also).

Is it really a big deal that the last .08 doesn't go in?

Does anyone else do this or are you the opposite and get out the measuring cup?

700 ml in after draining the oil.

She'll be right mate.

You will never get all of it in unless the engine is completely dry

Is this @ me?

If so please explain why I won't get it all in.

Edit: or at the OP, saying that unless he completely drains his engine, including the oil with the filter, his bike will not take 1.08 litres and hence a 1 litre bottle is fine?

Edited by BushPig

My 13 rmz has a check level screw. Fill it till it starts to run out the screw hole. No measuring required. Remember to remove tdc bolt so no air blocks equal air pressure. :)

Ride it like you stole it!

With my KLX450 I never use the sight glass,from brand new with the bike I dropped the oil in to a measuring container and noted how much came out and it was very close to the amount that was supposed to be drained out so I took that the missing oil was the oil that remains in the bike and from then on I put back in exactly what comes out and this also shows me if i'm using any oil but for 3 years now the exact same amount of oil comes out every time,in my case just a tad over 1L comes out

Doesn't matter.  As long as there's about the right amount in there, it's fine.

Too much will cause more problems than a little less will... like puking out the airbox.

I fill my 525 to the lower quarter of hte sight glass window with the bike on level ground, and don't worry about it.

Sled's oil-injected, did dial that pump up a bit, and I throw a splash in the tank to lube the top-end.  Don't even measure that, just throw some in the tank and call it good.  Almost 1500 miles with zero problems.

I doubt it matters. I always put in exactly what the manual says and about 10mL over, just in case.

Before using Motul I used Penrite, I put in the correct amount after draining oil from both points and its well above sight glass level. I put in 1L and it sits about a 3rd of the bottom of the sight glass - always change the filter with oil as well so it's not a bit extra in that area.