Fumes getting me sick while riding

What's going on? So yesturday I was racing a my 5th harescramble and for the 2nd time I got very sick while racing due to fumes. Mostly the 2 stroke fumes. I felt good for the first half hour or so but then I started feeling naucious. First lap was pretty bad, threw up once and started getting a very bad headache. Decided to push and do more though. 2nd lap my headache got much worse and 3/4 through I was on my knees throwing up. This only seems to happen in tougher races not so much the more open ones with less traffic. Anyone else have this problem? Anyway to prevent it? Thanks guys!

It's possible that you could be highly sensitive to fumes, but my guess is that this may be a classic case of confusing correlation with causation. There certainly are fumes during a race, but I think two factors make it unlikely to be the cause. First, just the fact that your are in the open air on a moving motorcycle makes it unlikely that fumes could reach a concentration where symptom would begin to occur. Second, you mention that the symptoms come on about 1/2 hour into the race. In most races I've been in, riders start to get pretty spread out by then, again making it much less likely that sufficient concentrations would occur.

I think your nausea and other symptoms are more likely to be related to what you ate, previous hydration, the summer heat, and exercise. For summer races especially, I've found it beneficial to increase your fluid intake for several days for the race. The foods you eat beforehand can also make a big difference, but that is kind of a personal thing that you learn about with experience. If you ever develop nausea during any other types of exercise, you should see your physician immediately.

Edited by rpt50

Ive had the same problem since i started racing

It happens every time..i get a little bit naucious but the headache beats me up...

i dont want to be that guy but,its the two stroke fumes that got me..

I think your nausea and other symptoms are more likely to be related to what you ate, previous hydration, the summer heat, and exercise. For summer races especially, I've found it beneficial to increase your fluid intake for several days for the race. The foods you eat beforehand can also make a big difference, but that is kind of a personal thing that you learn about with experience. If you ever develop nausea during any other types of exercise, you should see your physician immediately.

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Also nerves.