Idle trouble after 3x3 mrd

Is there an easier way to mess with the fuel or idle screw without removing the carb? I can tilt it ever so slightly but it really doesnt help to get in where the idle screw is. I had the bike on yesterday and the idle was just slightlyyy off. I coudnt get in there (or i was just losing patience) and my buddys were aboe to get in there. Idk i think my one buddy was just a little mad for some reason he went and tried moving the screw i asked which way and how much he turned he said he didnt k ow he put the screwdriver in and turned.. now the bike will not idle at all. I messed with trying to turn the screw for at least 3 hours couldnt quite get it. So now im thinking one of my best choices are rip the carb off once again and unscrew the fuel screw 2.75 turns out where it did run and try and mess with the carb again. My main problem i feel was the screwdriver i have was a tad to long with barelt enough room to get in the fuel scree hole. Any suggestions? Or would my best bet to be rip her off fast? Thanks everyone! I was just exteremely happy to hear it fire up no problem after all the work i did. Great feeling thanks everybody for alllll the help! Idt i couldve done it without you guys lol

The idle screw is easy to get to, so I assume you are talking about the fuel screw, just go to walmart and get a small precision screw driver set, it will easily fit under the carb. then turn the fuel screw in clockwise till it stops, and count the turns ccw till desired setting. you can place a mark on the screwdriver, to aide with recognizing a full turn. Keep in mind, doing it this way you are upsidedown in comparision to the carb. so to screw in, you actually be turning ccw and clockwise to screw out. Just think about it alittle bit and you'll get it.

Edited by Spud786

I use a cutoff screwdriver to get to the pilot screw and adjust it while the bike is running. Once you get the screw driver in there set it back to what it ran at and go from there. There's a thread on carb adjustment in the faqs. What carb do you have?

Where is the idle screw? I thought they were the same screw i thought the fuel screw just changed how lean the mixture was for the idle? Lol i thought they wer different screws at first but i havent seen anything on the idle screw. Or am i not supposed to mess with the idle only the fuel? I new to the drz and bikes for the most part in general. I took a small engine course in school but i was t a great student lol but i know the basics of engines for the most part just only did lawnmower like engines. Idk i just got a little confused but if someone woukd kindly explain i should have a good mental picture. Thanks again everyone lol

I have stock mikuni. Just rejetted for mrd. 160 main, blue in clip 4, 25pilot and had the fuel screw about 2.75 turns out. It idled justt aboutt how it idled before with just fmf slip on and nothing else. It was almost like that and that i feel was almost the normal idle. Id like it to idle as it should. I thought it had to do with the fuel screw. Im just a little mixed up

1406033461903.jpg

The idle has the tube and white knob connected to it and it is on the cam that the throttle cables are connected to.

1406033597034.jpg

The fuel screw is on the engine side of the carb on bottom. Mine has the knob on it instead of a screw driver slot and sticks further out than a stock.

Would i have to mess with the idle or fuel screw if the idle sounded a little off. Thats where i get a little confused lol. i work today so im gonna have to wait til tm to mess with it but there arwnt any ither problems so should be riding tm for sure! Im just a tad bit confused. The idle seemed to be a littlee low when the fuel screw was 2.75 turns out. Like it almost sounded like it could have died if it had les gas. I shouldve have just left it and rode it for a coule mins but i wanted it to idle perfect. Lol i like to have things perfect first, its mt downfall esp when im not positive on what im doing lol but thank you for the help everyone i cant thank you guys enough

Would i have to mess with the idle or fuel screw if the idle sounded a little off. Thats where i get a little confused lol. i work today so im gonna have to wait til tm to mess with it but there arwnt any ither problems so should be riding tm for sure! Im just a tad bit confused. The idle seemed to be a littlee low when the fuel screw was 2.75 turns out. Like it almost sounded like it could have died if it had les gas. I shouldve have just left it and rode it for a coule mins but i wanted it to idle perfect. Lol i like to have things perfect first, its mt downfall esp when im not positive on what im doing lol but thank you for the help everyone i cant thank you guys enough

The idle screw adjusts the idle speed (RPM).

The fuel screw adjusts the A/F ratio at idle.

Go through the procedure that craigo posted, then set your idle speed to ~1800RPM.

I dont have an rpm meter on my bike but i should be able to hear about whats right for idle. Id imagine at least. But alright thanks a bunch thats what i was figuring kindof i just like to be sure get a good mental picture before i jump into something but thanks a ton! I should be able to figure it out tm. Had it so close yesterday i almost rode her for the first time since april or may i believe. I probaboy dont even have to mess with the idle probably just the fuel screw im thinking to get the perfect mix. I think thats what the problem was not the idle but ill find out for sure tm. Just got to make sure i get a smaller flathead to fit in there better. My and my dad were a little surprised when we had to drill out that plug to get to the fuel screw lol

I may even just get a little rpm meter just to check the idle my dad may even have one. Ill figure it out shouldnt be to hard

Is there any reason why i may need a smaller pilot? Idt i do but was just wondering after reading about the procedure. I have the stock 22.5 still. But have the 25 in. Idk was jw why a smaller pilot might be needed for some drzs

Is there any reason why i may need a smaller pilot? Idt i do but was just wondering after reading about the procedure. I have the stock 22.5 still. But have the 25 in. Idk was jw why a smaller pilot might be needed for some drzs

Usually if you are using the extended fuel screw, then you will need the smaller pilot jet. The 25 should be good for your set up. Every DRZ is different though, so it is possible that you may need the smaller pilot jet, but that is unlikely.

Which way would i screw the fuel screw to give it a little more gas to for the idle? I lost the jd jet paper that came with the kit lol

Which way would i screw the fuel screw to give it a little more gas to for the idle? I lost the jd jet paper that came with the kit lol

CCW

Does it say in the video or just google search will work to find it? I just figure ask here first lol idk

Ahhh nevermind lol im dumb!

I cannot figure out how to get my bike to idle. It seems that on hakf choke if i give it gas while trying to start it will fire but the minute i turn off choke it dies. Im guessing it needs a little more gas to keep it at idle. Im just gettin confused. I wasnt abke yet to find a screwdriver that fits. Im gonna keep looking. I have tm off was hoping to finish and actually ride it tm but idk how things are looking with this problem

Although i may have a screwdriver that fits i just found is there anything else i could possibly try or anything anyone recommends? Idk i was just wondering. Im hoping its just the fuel screw im not sure what else it could be. If the screwdriver fits ill try both ways and im hoping that will work. Any input is greatly appreciated im not sure what more information i can give idk im hoping it works tm. Thanks everyone!