Sign in to follow this  

Filter Sock Question for EFI Bikes

Based on some of the filter issues I read on this site I installed and ran a filter sock since first purchasing my CRF 450. I still see posts about clogged filters and I am curious since these bikes been out a bit, has anyone who runs a filter sock had to replace their fuel filter due to clogging??  i have not had any filter issues BTW.

I put the Splitstream filter sock on my 2012 when the bike was brand new in Aug-2012.  Here we are 2 years later.  The bike has 40 hrs on it and I have not had any probs.  I haven't opened the tank up to look at the filter on the pump to see if it shows signs of getting dirty.

Based on some of the filter issues I read on this site I installed and ran a filter sock since first purchasing my CRF 450. I still see posts about clogged filters and I am curious since these bikes been out a bit, has anyone who runs a filter sock had to replace their fuel filter due to clogging??  i have not had any filter issues BTW.

They cured the filter issue in 2010 by changing the filter design. And when you get a new pump for the 09 bike, its the newer design.

Cured the filter isue?  You mean the filter no longer stops dirt and eventually gets so clogged with dirt it causes the bike to start cutting out or losing performance?

Cured the filter isue?  You mean the filter no longer stops dirt and eventually gets so clogged with dirt it causes the bike to start cutting out or losing performance?

Oh stop...

If the filter didnt get packed with crap, it wouldnt be doing its job, now would it? The filter sock things are the way to go. Putting an air filter on the tank vent is probably not a bad idea either.

Exactly, they didn't "cure" anything.  They just made the filter bigger so it takes longer to get stopped up with dirt.  Just clarifying.

• Like 1

I have removed the entire frigging pump filter and use a post-pump Golan filter, but never own a bike long enough to get long-term results, but my buyers don't report issues and I keep in touch with the vast majority of them.

Edited by Eddie8v

I use the splitstream filter sock, have not changed the filter in either of my two fuel injected CRF450's.

I have friends that ride about the same amount as I do in same conditions, they have all had to change their filters.  One even had a DNF cause it plugged so bad during a race it could not get enough fuel..  Bike kept stalling.  New filter installed ran perfectly again.

I use the splitstream filter sock, have not changed the filter in either of my two fuel injected CRF450's.

I have friends that ride about the same amount as I do in same conditions, they have all had to change their filters.  One even had a DNF cause it plugged so bad during a race it could not get enough fuel..  Bike kept stalling.  New filter installed ran perfectly again.

Thanks Stroker, this is the comparison i was wondering about. So it appears that running a filter sock saves having to replace the filter at some point. i paid about 30 for the sock, and a filter is about 70 so it certainly justifies the cost. Just to add to the discussion, a disadvantage i have had with the sock is its difficult to tell how much fuel i have in the tank when it gets low and filling the tank takes a bit more time and care. Overall good, thanks for the impute!

Yeah, filling the tank is definitely a PITA with the sock.  You won't be setting any pitstop records!

I had an aftermarket in tank filter sock in my bike since I bought it new.  Last weekend my bike started struggling to run and upon removal of the fuel pump and fuel pump filter I found that my stock fuel filter was nearly 100% clogged with black gunk.

When I got my 450 in 2010 I purchased a Mr Funnel with a filter that strains dirt & water. I use it to filter gas from the pump into the jerry can and then from the jerry can into the bike. It's an extra step and I sometimes over fill the bike but I haven't had any fuel pump issues. We have used it on our 250 with excellent results too.

I purchased an 09 new, in late 2009 and used the filter sock from CRF Stuff right away. With my riding conditions and style I had to change the fuel filter at about 60 hours. I now have 93 hours on the bike and no more issues yet. I hope that this answers your question on how long it can last. :thumbsup:

I had an aftermarket in tank filter sock in my bike since I bought it new.  Last weekend my bike started struggling to run and upon removal of the fuel pump and fuel pump filter I found that my stock fuel filter was nearly 100% clogged with black gunk.

I have a feeling that the OEM filters have some kind of chemical coating thats reacting with the American fuels and producing this black crap.

I'm in australia snd my filter was black aswell , filter changed and bike is riding excellent, still takes a few kicks to start tho :(

How long did it last before it plugged?

right about 80 hours is when my bike started acting up

I have a feeling that the OEM filters have some kind of chemical coating thats reacting with the American fuels and producing this black crap.

no clue.  but i bought and installed a '13 fuel pump and so far so good