KYB SSS Forks on 2014 Beta 250 rr

Hi ,

I have bought some SSS forks off a 2013 yzf 250 for my Beta (2014 250 2t rr).

What will I need to do to make them work?

Thanks .

triple clamps and caliper pattern should be the same, you have to check the front disc diameter (if the same, you can ride it).

i have a showa on my 300 and i revalve it completely because that was a sx fork and was too much harsh on rocks and logs...

now the fork is still a bit stiff but works great.

Hi ,

I have bought some SSS forks off a 2013 yzf 250 for my Beta (2014 250 2t rr).

What will I need to do to make them work?

Thanks .

You'll need a new upper triple, a caliper hanger with spacers for the 260mm Beta rotor, and spacers for the axle.

PM me and I can hook you up.

I've done this mod on an older 2008 Beta.  Be careful on the outer diameters of the SSS fork tubes to the stock triple clamps.  One guy claims Showa and another KYB.  Those forks are different outer diameters.  I found using after market clamps made it a lot easier by matching the upper and lower diameters to custom made triples .  I bought Emig billet clamps with 22mm offset that matched the KYBs O.D.'s.  The front brake caliper may be a problem if the rotors are different size from YZF to Beta.  In my case I was using KXF forks and just opted to run a KXF excel front wheel. Maybe Braking sells the larger rotor mount for the YZF for a 260mm rotor.  Both are Nissin so I doubt the rotor is a custom size probably an over size rotor kit mount will work.   

p10103962.jpg

• Like 1

I've done this mod on an older 2008 Beta.  Be careful on the outer diameters of the SSS fork tubes to the stock triple clamps.  One guy claims Showa and another KYB.  Those forks are different outer diameters.  I found using after market clamps made it a lot easier by matching the upper and lower diameters to custom made triples .  I bought Emig billet clamps with 22mm offset that matched the KYBs O.D.'s.  The front brake caliper may be a problem if the rotors are different size from YZF to Beta.  In my case I was using KXF forks and just opted to run a KXF excel front wheel. Maybe Braking sells the larger rotor mount for the YZF for a 260mm rotor.  Both are Nissin so I doubt the rotor is a custom size probably an over size rotor kit mount will work.   

p10103962.jpg

I sell upper triple clamps that will allow you to run the SSS forks in your Beta - the lowers work as is. All you have to do is match the offset, which for 2Ts is 20mm (we also have a 23mm offset for recent 4Ts). The fork legs are set up for a 250mm rotor so you need a caliper hanger (and spacers etc) if you want to run the Beta front wheel. If you're not picky you could just bolt the YZ wheel in place and go.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys.  I have some yz wheels so the plan now is:-

Fit Front wheel off yz

I have a 20mm o/s yz top clamps, will that possibly work?

I have a o/s front rotor bracket for the yz ..maybe that will slot into the Beta caliper?

P.S Do you know what rear wheel will fir into the Beta? i.e KTM etc .. 

Thanks

I'm in initial phase of doing this with '11 YZ250F KYB SSS forks. According to my measurements last night, the newer lug style KYBs ('08+) do not need caliper bracket spacers, mine lined up perfectly with the Braking #POW106.

YZ clamp fit I have no idea. Husky wheels fit the Beta with custom spacers or shimming the sprocket side. They are the only two wheels that share the sprocket to rotor offset dimmension.

triple clamps and caliper pattern should be the same, you have to check the front disc diameter (if the same, you can ride it).

i have a showa on my 300 and i revalve it completely because that was a sx fork and was too much harsh on rocks and logs...

now the fork is still a bit stiff but works great.

That's very interesting. I have a nice spare set of Showas, or 2, too. What triple clamps(yokes) did you use, and what spindle/brake/wheel too?

• Like 1

I used 06' YZ250f forks, and used the same caliper spacer as GP, with the older forks you need to cut the one axle spacer about in half. The biggest hassle was making a bracket for the brake line, the yamy line is set out to far forward and to the left, be aware also that yamaha played musical fork guards with the wr and yz for a few years and none of them are even close to fitting between the years.

The big stuff is easy to make fit, it's the small stuff that's a PITA, also BEFORE you tear into this endeavor make measurements from the top of your lower stock Beta T clamp to your axle center so everything is set in the proper location, the KYB fork lengths differ and the fork hash marks will be to low to utilize.

I used the Fox Racing top fork caps because you can't access the stock kyb adjustment screw easily, but the Fox adjuster knob sits really close to the handle bars with the stock risers.          

I'm going through this carefully by the numbers, and taking measurements different ways to check. Also will be using a Husky wheel in addition to the Beta wheel so some special spacers there too. So far it looks like once wheel is centered via spacers the caliper will be good, but I'll verify this by mock up spacers from tubing. The 250F forks are 935mm, 450 forks 945mm. Beta Zokes measured 940mm(all cap to axel center). For fork guards I got the Acerbis set for the '11 YZ250F and the OEM brake line clamp to match. I want to do this in one shot with no down time so now just collecting parts. When I'm done I'll post details with pics.

I'm going through this carefully by the numbers, and taking measurements different ways to check. Also will be using a Husky wheel in addition to the Beta wheel so some special spacers there too. So far it looks like once wheel is centered via spacers the caliper will be good, but I'll verify this by mock up spacers from tubing. The 250F forks are 935mm, 450 forks 945mm. Beta Zokes measured 940mm(all cap to axel center). For fork guards I got the Acerbis set for the '11 YZ250F and the OEM brake line clamp to match. I want to do this in one shot with no down time so now just collecting parts. When I'm done I'll post details with pics.

Yamaha was all over the map with fork guards, that's for sure. Be careful using the stock brake hose clamp - maybe good if you want to run the brake hose in front of the headlight mask, but I found that that pushes the hose too far forward for easy entry into the guide on the lower triple if you're using a more traditional enduro routing.

OK will do. Thats a detail that will need to be addressed when the forks are on the bike. Will call you for the clamp shortly.

EDIT:

With a small adapter bracket and some spacer washers, the YZ brake hose clamp can be used turned backwards, so the hose is against the guard and offset to the side. This is the exact position as on the stock Beta fork guard.

The Braking #POW106 carrier is for the newer style lugs of the '08+ forks. For the older forks you would need the #POW13.

The newer forks will not require spacers on the carrier mounts, it lines up correctly when the wheel is centered with a custom brake side spacer 4.5mm shorter than stock.

To the OP, the newer YZF KYBs ('10+ 450, '12+ 250) have smaller OD upper tube dia and should not require a clamp (should be 54mm but I have not verifierd). Question is if the axel lug and offset is the same.

Edited by GP

Hi Aled.

Your 13 YZF250 forks will fit straight in the clamps of your beta no problem. I've got them on mine with yam front wheel. The carrier from the yam will go onto the beta brake caliper too :)

I figured they were 54mm up top. Axel offset the same in the '13 lug? Heard it was different but I don't necessarily believe it. If not thats the fork to find. If you get a chance please measure this along with the upper tube length. I got brand new take off '11s , couldn't pass them up. Plus Steve's clamp is very nice and takes all the Beta hardware.

GP

How would U rate these up against the Zokes on the RR Racing for desert enduro and mountains/woods? I believe I had a set of them on an 07 250 2T? Didn't fiddle with them much but seemed like top notch quality pieces.

Well I received the KYB Yam forks, they had a scratch on the stanchion. I send them back.

Anyway in the meanwhile I saw these :-    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Kayaba-48-closed-cartridge-forks-/321468928295?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RJaWpp37wYusiGAjvJgsH9zEwyM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc                         And bought them .

They were bought from Beta Boano Italy . I believe they are Husky forks.  Rode the bike with them yesterday, they feel pretty good!

:)

Jink2s..Where abouts you from ? Are you 'chipper' by chance??

GP

How would U rate these up against the Zokes on the RR Racing for desert enduro and mountains/woods? I believe I had a set of them on an 07 250 2T? Didn't fiddle with them much but seemed like top notch quality pieces.

I have not ridden them yet, they are still on the bench with stock YZF valving. I'm in the middle of a race season so I'm holding off until I get all the parts and details ironed out so I can just do an instant swap with a couple weeks of testing. I have ridden the Husky KYBs on my brother's bike back to back but can't say because the revalve he got is so soft I hate it. Have to fix that. The Zokes are a good fork. They have a serious feel, firm, but do not deflect. They may feel a little stiff going very slow in rocks but just a bit more speed and they come into their tune. Fine with me. I've had limited time on a couple Yamahas and while all wrong for the woods they weren't unridable with the stock valving so I would guess that the KYB will be easy to make right for the woods in the initial travel.

The '07 YZ250 2stroke forks are 945mm cap to axel center, same as the 450F, and 10mm longer than the 250F forks. '07 has the older lugs.

Husky KYBs go right on. I think those Boano KYBs in the UK were for sale on the BetaRider's Club site as well. Your experience is why I held off for new forks.

• Like 1

I've got a set of Husky kyb twin chambers for sale from a 2012 husky CR 125 that will go right on the beta. They have 4 hours on them. $400.

Now you tell me! Timing is everything.

Eventually I'm going to try to test fit my Marzocchi lowers and cartridges in a set of my brother's Husky KYB uppers. If it's possible, I'll look for a set of good Husky KYB uppers as my Zoke uppers are shot. Really like the forks performance, but had some issues with wear.

So are the showas a direct fit?