Sign in to follow this  

Iridium spark plug vs normal?!

how tho, would the iridium be the exact same

I run iridium's in my ski-doo, it needs it because its got a weird bog and I believe it's caused by a weak spark.

My dirtbike, or anything else I run, does not need the 3x the price plugs.

The iridium's have a smaller inner piece, where the spark jumps off of, to the electrode. It also has an iridium core, which electricity passes through easier.

I run iridium's in my ski-doo, it needs it because its got a weird bog and I believe it's caused by a weak spark.

The iridium's have a smaller inner piece, where the spark jumps off of, to the electrode. It also has an iridium core, which electricity passes through easier.

So the plug should run great in my kx then

Ive heard some talk about them giving the bike a smoother idle.

So the plug should run great in my kx then

Ive heard some talk about them giving the bike a smoother idle.

I mean you won't do any damage to anything other than your wallet if you like them. Give em a try!

I mean you won't do any damage to anything other than your wallet if you like them. Give em a try!

Got them for free :)

Buy the expensive one AND a normal plug. It will cost very little to try them both if your set on the expensive one. I know it seems strange but I have NEVER had any issue running the cheap plugs. There is much hype about ultra small electrodes and high conductivity metals etc etc. These things have a lot theory that makes sense on paper but in real use I have seen no noticeable improvement. None.

Edited by lowmass

Buy the expensive one AND a normal plug. It will cost very little to try them both if your set on the expensive one. I know it seems strange but I have NEVER had any issue running the cheap plugs. There is much hype about ultra small electrodes and high conductivity metals etc etc. These things have a lot theory that makes sense on paper but in real use I have seen no noticeable improvement. None.

Yep... To me, it doesn't matter if your electrode is high conductivity if you spark plug wire is still copper. I never saw the improvement of a smaller electrode... Do you know what it is?

if you do the math on the high conductivity thing I see little if anything to improve perf. The super small electrode does have some self cleaning effect and possably a smaller, hotter spark. These things help sell the concept for sure BUT again I never had an issue with the standard plugs. I suspect as with many things their not as great as we are led to believe. Sure ,maybe there is some very specific condition that works a bit better with them, but .......

We use Iridiums in our bikes and yes it does help throtte response and it just feels like more power. Although I watched a very well explained documentary on E3 plugs. I will be using those exclusively from now on. Higher quality spark plugs help 2 strokes more than 4s.

interesting as most of my use of the cheap plugs was with the old 2 strokes.  Never felt that there was less power than the expensive plugs. Throttle response I cant be sure of as I suspect was not really doing a whole lot of lower rpm throttle modulation. The bikes were ridden mostly from about 1/3 throttle and up.

Edited by lowmass

It is proven that the new E3 plugs make more horsepower, burn considerably cleaner and last longer, all the proof is there.. And with todays gasolines being contaminated with these biofuels that do not burn and leave behind everything and more, we need cleaner burns.

It is proven that the new E3 plugs make more horsepower, burn considerably cleaner and last longer, all the proof is there.. And with todays gasolines being contaminated with these biofuels that do not burn and leave behind everything and more, we need cleaner burns.

how about just the Ngk "ix" iriduim spark plugs?

Its debatable apparently, everyone has a certain opinion about them, I just run them mostly because the cleaner burn and the more consistent running is generally worth the investment. I have tried those too and as posted above, I noticed an improvement on my 2 stroke cant really say much about the 4 though. I would just use them out of spite anyway, I mean really how often do you replace your plug? and then how much more is it? There really isnt a reason to not use them.

I would agree with that. On the 4 the darned plug last so long why not use the expensive plug. Years ago when I did experiments  with the cheap vs expensive plugs it was on the 2's. Back then to make the 2 last we would run them rich and change plugs every week. Like i said not sure there was any real noticeable perf difference.