Rear sprocket advice

I've been reading up on chain replacement for a while and have finally decided on the RK GB520GXW for $90. I recently changed out my front sprocket to an XRR Renthal 14 tooth so now I need to replace the rear sprocket when I put on the new chain. I want to stay with a 45 tooth for various reasons and need advice on which brand of rear sprocket I should go for.

I found a JT sprocket (http://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTR301-45-Steel-Sprocket/dp/B0068O5LF6/) but the price is super cheap and that concerns me. I don't want to go with an awesome chain and then have the weak link be the sprocket. Does anyone have experience with this JT rear sprocket? Any others I should consider or avoid?

I saw a Supersprox on Amazon for around $90 but not sure they are worth it. I'd like to find a middle ground around $50 but still a good value. Any suggestions?

Any of steel sprockets are ok. STAY away from alum ones!

Any of steel sprockets are ok. STAY away from alum ones!

^^^What he said...

Aluminum is great for the racing crowd when trying to keep unsprung weight to a minimum but they wear out way too quickly for everyday use.

So the JT steel sprocket is just as good as a steel name brand? Seems like a simple component but I just don't get the huge price difference between some of them when they are made of the same material. 

I've been using JT sprockets on bikes for many years and both of the sprockets currently on my XR650L are from JT.  I've been completely satisfied with them.

I think I got the first one from http://ca-cycleworks.com/ which is run by a friend.  The guy doesn't carry anything that isn't up to some pretty good standards.  I've been fine with using them ever since.

JT makes the OE steel sprocket for the XR650L IIRC,,,,,,,,,,Sunstar is good too,,both are top quality steel sprockets,,i`ve run either for years,wear like iron..

B

^^^What he said...

Aluminum is great for the racing crowd when trying to keep unsprung weight to a minimum but they wear out way too quickly for everyday use.

BTW in racing crowd if you think the weight you save from running a alum sprocket will make you win? NOT going to happen! If you race offroad like I did in Fla H/S what I allways said after the first mud hole they ALL weigh the same!!

I think the keyword Daryl was using is "unsprung" weight (rotating mass). I am looking at the JT's as well, they look nice

BTW in racing crowd if you think the weight you save from running a alum sprocket will make you win? NOT going to happen! If you race offroad like I did in Fla H/S what I allways said after the first mud hole they ALL weigh the same!!

Just geared down Dave's '87 XL600 with a 14-tooth JT. Went on in about 15 minutes, quality looks good, and seems to work just peachy. I think I paid about 15 bucks for it via Amazon.

I just read an article on putting XR650R front sprockets on a XR650L and posted questions on rear ones before I read this one. Now my questions are answered. Thank you! 

Have you heard about a "X" O-ring chain that is suppose to be stronger and less maintenance then O-ring chains. Also would you know if they offer 48 or larger rear sprockets?? 

I'm going with this chain: http://www.amazon.com/RK-Racing-Chain-GB520GXW-120-Connecting/dp/B000WNVF54

A few people have recommended it even though it's expensive I think it will be worth it after reading reviews. It's an XW-Ring chain...whatever that means!

I also ordered a 48 tooth rear and a 15 tooth XRR front (to replace the 14 tooth XRR I put on last year) because more teeth equals better chain life, etc. It will still be close to the same ratio as the 14/45 combo I'm running now.

According to one of the online sprocket calculators, a 15/48 combo will need a 116 link chain. Keep that in mind if you go bigger!