Sign in to follow this  

is something wrong here?

Is the gear between the clutch basket and kick starter gear suppose to be that loose and make that noise?

I just noticed the gear can be pulled from the clutch basket a little all the way around, is it a way to fix that?

Edited by yz250474

I'm about 99% sure the crank and top end are fine... the push rod for the power valve has a lot of play between the links... I plan on having it all back together in the next 2 weeks but would really be disappointed if it still has this noise. come on guys tell me what to do.

Edited by yz250474

That sounds pretty much normal to me...most of that "rattling" noise is the kick start spring gear ratcheting I believe.

• Like 1

Sounds good. And sounds just like mine. The yz250 IS the best bike ever built! However.....it does make some noise. Ride on brother

• Like 1

Well after watching about 10 or so yz 250 start ups, mine does sound pretty normal.. so I started putting it back together tonight, I should have it back in the bike Saturday on my day off. just made me nervous, sounding like something was going to bust thru the cases lol.. its my 1st 2 stroke.

Just a few more question befores I do finish the motor. the gear on the back of the basket is not all the way up tight to the basket... if I pull on the gear I can see a very small gap in between the gear and basket like .01mm if I had to guess.. is that ok or do I need it to be snugged up tight to the basket? if so how?

20140724_021853.jpg

Idk what to do, some poeple say it sounds normal, others say they wouldn't start it untill they find out what the racket is about.

It has wear grooves on the outer clutch cover from the clutchfriction  plates hitting it!  someone has had to of had this problen.... its the only thing i can find.. i need some help, not smartass remarks. 

my engine is louder than the exhaust, on a new bike its the other way around.

Edited by yz250474

The best thing you can do is ride it until it breaks.  Then the problem will become obvious.

The best thing you can do is ride it until it breaks.  Then the problem will become obvious.

i don't even know what to say..... I guess thats what I will do.

Edited by yz250474

Check the clutch basket bearing and the end of the basket push rod for mushrooming..

• Like 1

Seriously, all the replys on bs threads and no one can help me. whatta forum lol

We try to help, and then you go and question our help. Is it any wonder why we stop trying to help? :banghead:

Theres a thread just started about wear marks. Appears to be normal manufacturing marks. If i were you id just spin that thing around and check every conceivable spot for contact. Ive obsessed enough over this stuff and decided my time is better spent riding. I double check my parts, assembly, and torques and then just run it. If it breaks its bound to happen. Your problem appears to be normal. That could very well be your answer...

Theres a thread just started about wear marks. Appears to be normal manufacturing marks. If i were you id just spin that thing around and check every conceivable spot for contact. Ive obsessed enough over this stuff and decided my time is better spent riding. I double check my parts, assembly, and torques and then just run it. If it breaks its bound to happen. Your problem appears to be normal. That could very well be your answer...

I'm talking about marks on the outer cover.

1406304700803.jpg

Well I just bought a used complete clutch with a hinson basket , so ill try that and put some time on it, then inspect the top end. thanks for all the replys, sorry I'm hard headed sometimes lol