Sign in to follow this  

How to wheelie

Ive got a kx 125 and I just cant seem to learn how to wheelie I usually go in second gear right before the power band and then pull up and hit the gas while sitting down. Itll at first just spin the tire then when it gets traction and is starting to go up it revs out. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong

Every ride a unicycle? probly no but thats the physics of it plus much added high center of gravity weight via you and your bike.

Try to get a 80cc small bike but pop the front up and it helps to drag a foot or two if your in the seat as if laying on your bike and go slow while dragging your boot or boots but keep trying an tryin again...Make sure your in the dirt or grass  is nicer as your gonna spill it many times so wear your gear!!  

Then once you can keep the front up shifting is next  yes lol, from gear to gear without dropping it, oh it takes saddle time same as whips or berm busting but if your no longer flexible well, a reg bicycle is a good starter tool too,, try at your own risk you may get banged up or  ;(    goodluck go easy

Every ride a unicycle? probly no but thats the physics of it plus much added high center of gravity weight via you and your bike.

Try to get a 80cc small bike but pop the front up and it helps to drag a foot or two if your in the seat as if laying on your bike and go slow while dragging your boot or boots but keep trying an tryin again...Make sure your in the dirt or grass is nicer as your gonna spill it many times so wear your gear!!

Then once you can keep the front up shifting is next yes lol, from gear to gear without dropping it, oh it takes saddle time same as whips or berm busting but if your no longer flexible well, a reg bicycle is a good starter tool too,, try at your own risk you may get banged up or ;( goodluck go easy

thanks I will try this out

I have a real hard time on 125 power wheelies. I can't get the front up. I personally like stand up wheelies. I stand up get the bike in the pipe use one or 2 fingers to pull the clutch in to the back of my other fingers rev it up and pop the clutch. Learn how your bike reacts to poping the clutch in 3rd or 4th. As first or second is likely to come up to fast to learn on. If your spinning the rear wheel shift your weight back still spinning bounce it as you shift your weight back. Once you learn how it reacts drop a gear and learn again. Suspension plays a big role my 450 is set up for a 220 lbs rider I'm 150 I have to bounce like a mofo to keep it from spinning off but on the street it's great. My rm250 the suspension is set and hooks up very nice and I have to keep some weight over the tank on hard accels.

if you can learn how to clutch it up, you don't have to be in the powerband to bring it up.... it takes a little bit of technique but its much easier to control the wheelie and the power.

if you can learn how to clutch it up, you don't have to be in the powerband to bring it up.... it takes a little bit of technique but its much easier to control the wheelie and the power.

Idk about that coming into the power band while up on one is asking to loop it when learning

Idk about that coming into the power band while up on one is asking to loop it when learning

In my opinion, Someone shouldn't be learning to wheelie a bike(especially a 2stroke) if they don't know where the powerband is and when it starts to come on.....

Edit:  Also, a good wheelie is all about balance and not power.  If you watch videos of people doing wheelies on mopeds for miles, there is no way a moped can power wheelie but at the balance point, it takes very little power to keep it there.

Edited by fstbusa

In my opinion, Someone shouldn't be learning to wheelie a bike(especially a 2stroke) if they don't know where the powerband is and when it starts to come on.....

Edit: Also, a good wheelie is all about balance and not power. If you watch videos of people doing wheelies on mopeds for miles, there is no way a moped can power wheelie but at the balance point, it takes very little power to keep it there.

So when learning how to do a wheelie you would suggest that learning slow wheelies is best? That makes since because they are the hardest to do. If you have ever done balance wheelies on a small bike I could see that or if you learn off of YouTube. As for me and every one else that has done several mile long wheelies on a street bike or dirt we can tell you that it is 90% throttle control. So learning on a bike as high strung as a 2t you won't want to take the chance on hitting the powerband because you started to go down hill slightly. Also on a 125 in any thing other than first gear I highly doubt you will get the front up with out being in the pipe. If you have read my post you would know I'm suggesting that you learn how the bike reacts in 3rd or 4th where the power is very controlable.

To the op clutching up a wheelie can be very intimidating at first but once it is learned not only can it be useful on dirt but also if you go on to learn how to ride street. From some one who has learned the hard way of how fstbusa is suggesting it is a bad idea until you have learned how your bike reacts in the pipe and mastered throttle control.

Edited by higgy450

I'm not a pro, never will be. Done my fair share of wheelies.

My number 1 piece of advice, learn to keep your foot on the rear brake and use it....It will save you from most disasters.

As far as learning to clutch it up, I would rather crash at 10 mph than 30-40mph...

• Like 2

I'm not a pro, never will be. Done my fair share of wheelies.

My number 1 piece of advice, learn to keep your foot on the rear brake and use it....It will save you from most disasters.

As far as learning to clutch it up, I would rather crash at 10 mph than 30-40mph...

1. I completely agree with you on the break

2. Nice sumo

3. Never did I say learning how to ballence wheelie at 30 or 40 was a good idea. I said learn how the bike reacts.

4. That's a lot faster than 1st gear below the powerband on a 2t.

5. 4t are significantly easier to learn to wheelie on and ride like that.

6. Wtf is up with the rest of the video it looks like a sick road where u from?

1. I completely agree with you on the break

2. Nice sumo

3. Never did I say learning how to ballence wheelie at 30 or 40 was a good idea. I said learn how the bike reacts.

4. That's a lot faster than 1st gear below the powerband on a 2t.

5. 4t are significantly easier to learn to wheelie on and ride like that.

6. &%$#@! is up with the rest of the video it looks like a sick road where u from?

I agree a 4t is much easier to learn on. I agree on learning the power of your bike. That's why I said before if he doesn't know when the powerband is coming on by listening to the motor, maybe he shouldn't be doing wheelies just yet.

I'm from Iowa but that vid is from north Carolina. My YouTube page has a bunch more vids of the same area.

Edited by fstbusa

what i do to wheelie my impossible 150f is i go in second and stomp down to preload the suspension, then gun the living shit out of it and yank back. i find that you can power wheelie any bike that way  :thumbsup:

Idk I've been riding 2t since I was 8 and still when I bring it up before the band I find my self hitting the pipe on occasion I'm experienced enough now that it doesn't get out from under me but every time I get a new bike it will from time to time. Also giving the same lessons that I thought my wife and she seems to be doing fine. Only thing she's looped was the yfz450 when trying to bring it up straight from a stop.

Practice on a bicycle. I am so comfortable I can now go over the balance point, to a point where my friends/parents go OH SHIT! Brake a little, and ride in out no problem... It did take a while to go from hand brake to foot brake though. I also tend to do my wheelies in 1-2 exclusively... My buddies hits the powerband in 2nd on his 85 and starts shifting... His wheelies look like &%$#@! wheelies compared to mine. Don't be that guy.

Edited by LiamRM212

Tell u what when you puss out on absolutely nothing in life you can tell somebody who decided to set pride aside and ask for tips on how to improve skill in a sport he loves to grow balls. Actin like you've never been intimidated by or scared of something is good for a laugh

• Like 1

Put it in 1st gear, come to a stop and clutch it up. Use the brake to bring it down. Repeat, clutching higher and using less brake until you are doing bp wheelies.

• Like 1

Tell u what when you puss out on absolutely nothing in life you can tell somebody who decided to set pride aside and ask for tips on how to improve skill in a sport he loves to grow balls. Actin like you've never been intimidated by or scared of something is good for a laugh

It's all good I ride with him haha

A local pro taught me to stab the front brake just before I want to wheelie so the bike's front end dives, then quickly use throttle and clutch as the fork rebounds to pop it up. Keep your foot over the brake pedal so you can save yourself from looping out. :thumbsup:   I can get it popped up no problem, but I can't keep them going for more than two frickin' seconds.

So all this jibber jabber got me focused on it today, and I definitely improved on my two second limit... probably maxing it out to four seconds. I started trying to grab the next gear for the first time in my wheelies and realized I had no idea how to do that. Any help on how to grab the next gear smoothly would be of good use...

I discovered while practicing this that my index finger nearly always is extended to the front brake when I am riding. Not just when practicing this, but my finger is actually on the front brake lever whenever I stopped to look while I was riding. I've developed a habit of actually riding with my finger on the front brake at all times, and the (brake stab fork rebound pop-up) technique I mentioned above is probably what got me there. 

I think it's a good habit, because if you need to stop, it's one less moment lost during the time it takes to move your finger to the lever and actually apply the brake. Plus when you hear about dragging the front brake in ruts technique, you'll probably learn that one much more easily.

Oh, and I was having so much fun practicing this I ran my bike out of gas. Brilliant.

end of jibber jabber

Edited by anoolite76

Go in second or third gear, ride at just above an idle then pull in the clutch rev up, release the clutch. That should work. Just keep your foot on the back brake so it doesn't decide to buck you. That works for me. Hope it works!!