Sign in to follow this  

Custom intake

I am trying to make a carb intake for a wr200 engine mounted in 06 yz125 frame. With the aluminum frame the stock intake will not work as the carb hits the top of the frame. I tried to make an intake out of urethane and a steel bracket but the urethane would not bond to the steel. I also tried an intake from a blaster which does not work. I tried sudco but did not find anything that would work. Any ideas? I am stuck

By carb intake I assume you are talking about he air boot/airbox?

Aluminum sheet metal? You can cut and bent it any which way, then take it to a welder to have him weld up the seams. Or you could rivet it together and use a silicone sealant on the inside of the seams. It might take some work, but would look pretty trick if done right.

Edited by woods-rider

By carb intake I assume you are talking about he air boot/airbox?

Aluminum sheet metal? You can cut and bent it any which way, then take it to a welder to have him weld up the seams. Or you could rivet it together and use a silicone sealant on the inside of the seams. It might take some work, but would look pretty trick if done right.

Sorry I wasnt clear.. I need to make the boot connecting the carb to the crankase intake(reeds)

Edited by sloenduro

With the mounting sleeve off of the engine, slip it onto the carb, then set it in place and measure up how much it would need to tilt one way or other.  Then make a wedge-shaped plate to bolt between the mount and the reed block.

With the mounting sleeve off of the engine, slip it onto the carb, then set it in place and measure up how much it would need to tilt one way or other.  Then make a wedge-shaped plate to bolt between the mount and the reed block.

Thanks that sounds like a great idea.. I have thought of using an aluminum plate connected to rubber clamp on the carb. Space is a little limted as the wr reed assembly is further back than the stock yz125 engine