Sign in to follow this  

09 Crf 450R countershaft oil seal replacement

Hello Guys,

My beloved  New ( to me ) 2009 Crf450R has a countershaft oil seal leaking all over the place, it was my mistake, the other day i went trail riding  very mud conditions and it was impossible to wash the bike after the ride. one week later the seal is leaking..... i will change the oil seal, but where i live is very difficult to get trained labor so i will do the job myself. dou you guys have any advise? i have seen a lot of  how to youtube videos but cant find any on the Honda CRF 450 R. it does have a o ring behind the collar?....

thank you guys i will apreciate your advise

MatimotoF1

So it's leaking behind the front sprocket?

Edited by Diggla117

So it's leaking behind the front sprocket?

Yeap! sorry if i dont explained correctly

:thumbsup:

Yeap! sorry if i dont explained correctly

:thumbsup:

After you remove the sprocket there's a seal there that your talking about and that's not a big deal to change BUT there's also a rubber band looking seal that's about a quarter inch thick that goes around the counter shaft inbetween the shaft and main seal. This seal sometime gets pushed in where it cant seal properly on the main seal.. If that makes any sense. You can either remove the main seal and fish it back out orrr you could double that inner seal up since the one that's there now just got pushed in and isn't in the way of anything. The chain prob just pushed mid in there pushing it back in the case. Edited by Diggla117

After you remove the sprocket there's a seal there that your talking about and that's not a big deal to change BUT there's also a rubber band looking seal that's about a quarter inch thick that goes around the counter shaft inbetween the shaft and main seal. This seal sometime gets pushed in where it cant seal properly on the main seal.. If that makes any sense. You can either remove the main seal and fish it back out orrr you could double that inner seal up since the one that's there now just got pushed in and isn't in the way of anything. The chain prob just pushed mid in there pushing it back in the case.

Thank You! i will do that this Weekend!

The inner seal is in-between that collar and shaft btw. The collar might just be pushed in or dirt stuck between it and the main seal.

Edited by Diggla117

Its easiest to get the seal out if you pull the collar (#3) out first. The collar has an inner seal, the rubber band thing Diggla was trying to explain (#38) and then the seal that you think is leaking is #39

Remove the sprocket, pull the collar out (big pliers), it comes straight out. Then you can pry the seal out with relative ease.

1400.png

ok success!! i replace the oil seal and it's ok now.... BUT!..... when i decided to check the oil level i noticed...... MILKY OIL!! dam.... now i have to replace the water pump seals, oil seal,  shaft, bearing...etc.... time to look for another tutorial.... :banghead:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

ok success!! i replace the oil seal and it's ok now.... BUT!..... when i decided to check the oil level i noticed...... MILKY OIL!! dam.... now i have to replace the water pump seals, oil seal,  shaft, bearing...etc.... time to look for another tutorial.... :banghead:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

Whoa..

Milky oil in the engine side?

Its never the water pump seals. Its usually the head gasket.