1997 yamaha wr200 fuel mixture

ive recently gotten a 1997 yamaha wr200. i'm rather new to two stokes so i don't know what a reasonable fuel mixture would be. the people down at yamaha told me to use 400ml of yamalube oil to 20 litres of petrol. to me this doesn't seem like i am using enough oil. when the engine is running it blows some white smoke. it also uses obscene amounts of fuel. any answers or tips will be appreciated. thanks 

ive recently gotten a 1997 yamaha wr200. i'm rather new to two stokes so i don't know what a reasonable fuel mixture would be. the people down at yamaha told me to use 400ml of yamalube oil to 20 litres of petrol. to me this doesn't seem like i am using enough oil. when the engine is running it blows some white smoke. it also uses obscene amounts of fuel. any answers or tips will be appreciated. thanks 

Manual states 30:1

I run 32:1

My 200 barely sips any fuel, so I think something must be wrong with your floats, or jetting. Probably the floats.

I believe that comes out to 20:1 ratio, which seems like a lot, but is good for keeping an engine together.

i was told that this equalled a 50:1 ratio which i thought was too little 

i was told that this equalled a 50:1 ratio which i thought was too little

Yes, its 50:1 which is fine for just lugging trails/putzing around. If you dont like it run 40:1 and you should feel safer.

White smoke could be crank seal. Lots of info how to check that in here. Good luck!

thanks for the answers. keep the replies coming i need all the tips that i can get. 

thanks for the answers. keep the replies coming i need all the tips that i can get. 

Any new questions? I think the answers above are spot on.

My wr200 manual says 24:1 (USA specs). I usually run 40:1 synthetic

I believe that comes out to 20:1 ratio, which seems like a lot, but is good for keeping an engine together.

I never was any good at Math. :facepalm:

Any new questions? I think the answers above are spot on.

is it possible that the reed valves have anything to do with the amount of petrol it is using? it also doesn't rev out smoothly in the 1st and 2nd gears. i'm not sure why this is. would it be worth doing a full engine rebuild on the bike just to make sure that everything is good, as i don't know the bikes service history?

Ya thats 50:1

20/.4= 50

Should be fine. General sane mixtures are from about 32 to 50.

Not revving out can be a lot of things but the most common is jetting.  would also explain your fuel usage....and its a relatively cheap place to start....

Make sure your air filter is clean, first, too.

also i believe that this bike was only imported to the us in 1992. because of this i can only find parts for this model. are parts like chain, sprockets, brake pads and plastics able to be put on a 97 model? 

thanks for all your help guys

Not revving out in 1&2nd sounds like my wr200 before I seized it (water in the crank) so I rebuilt it and it goes real good now.

To all those mathematically challenged, especially the OP, get yourself a Ratio Rite cup and stop guessing. Your 2t will thank you!