IMS oversized fuel tank fitment tips

Hello folks...me again.

I installed an IMS tank on the wife's' 2013 250L. We have been doing a lot of mountain riding and she is always concerned about her fuel... we have had some close calls. She also packs the 1 gallon RotoPax but still would like more, as we usually end up dumping my RotoPax in her bike as well, (I have a 3.6 gallon IMS on the DRZ).

I found the IMS install instructions are somewhat lacking so I searched TT to see if insights were shared and pictures posted. Didn't really see what I would like, so I captured some shots of the IMS bracket locations and my shroud trimming evolution (yet to be carried out) and have posted them.

I laughed out loud when I read the IMS instruction "...some trimming may be necessary". That is a poor statement at best. Should say " trimming of the shrouds will be required if one doesn't want it to look like a cobbled together POS".

I believe it will be easy with the right tools but for those with little vision...take it to a professional.  I found it to be disconcerting that IMS left out any instructions about the fuel vent hose...

I know what to do with the whole evaporative system but I must guess that many would not. If you want to keep your bike all legal beagle like you must connect the supplied vent hose to the evap system via the little white plastic "hose mender" then route it up to the supplied gas cap. I believe the tank looks better with a billet cap and vent and toss the hose in the trash along with the evap crap, but no...I would never do that...no way, not me...that would not be compliant and IMS can't share that, certainly.

I noticed IMS has a great pictorial as advertised on the instruction sheet ...here is the link:

https://www.imsproducts.com/Tech/VisualInstalls/Details.cfm?PartNum=112246&Model_Option=&page=1

This shows most of the story but leaves out details on the trimming and the fuel tank vent...as expected. I will only bother you with the trimming aspect and encourage anyone to view the link prior to starting the work...it is very helpful to understand the positioning of the IMS "L" brackets and forward vibration mounts before you get started.

Here is my pictorial...hope some, find this useful...:

One needs to remove this black plastic shroud piece on the right side:

DSC09804_zpsf39a9a94.jpg

Looks like this after:

DSC09805_zps98f2bfdd.jpg

If you do not trim you have this little issue:

DSC09815_zpsdf8e0324.jpg

Cut off this much from both right and left shrouds:

DSC09817_zps909eb039.jpg

Sissors work really good...a die grinder works fabulous ;-)

DSC09818_zps5b8d9de5.jpg

Smooth it out with a flapper wheel, file, or what have you...

DSC09819_zps223eb5a3.jpg

Looks pretty good indeed...just take care not to scratch the finish as you work:

DSC09820_zps9f2a532a.jpg

And this:

DSC09823_zps1a8f4c77.jpg

My tool array for this exercise:

DSC09825_zps643ffb11.jpg

Ta Dahhhh !...

DSC09836_zpsc8b62c2f.jpg

Watch the clearence on your after market bark busters...very close but didn't actually hit the tank:

DSC09834_zpsacfe3eaf.jpg

Here's my cap setup.

DSC09835_zps061aca8f.jpg

I arranged this to show what some might choose to remove when doing this if they don't care to keep it USA highway legal and such...

DSC09827_zps5705dddb.jpg

If one were to do this they would need to cap the evap pipe to the intake base to not have a vacuum leak, also, properly protect the evap electric valve connector that would go unused in the event of such nonsense...but... best to keep it legal and not try this at home :naughty:

You must connect the stock vent line to the IMS supplied fuel cap with the IMS supplied hose and white plastic hose mender to keep it legal on USA highways.

Summary.

I found this to be a very easy install, nice looking and functional...plus my wife loves it and thinks I'm a super star for adding more capacity to her 2013 CRF 250L. :rolleyes:

BTW...I'm a Manufacturing Engineering Manager by trade...what's that?   I manage a crew of techs that write work instructions for a living...explain how to assemble things for those with no idea what comes next. Pictures, drawings, detailed explainations, tools, best practices...that sort of stuff. I have very high expectations from manufacturers instructions...details left out lead to frustration and costly mistakes. :facepalm:

Thanks IMS...good job on the design, it fits beautifully and looks nice...!

We found this IMS tank to be well built and rugged, a must for rough terrain riding.

We rode up in the mountains yesterday on some old washed out high mountain logging roads. Brush, logs, cliffs, boulders, bears, elk, deer, ravins...that sort of stuff. My wife reports she didn't notice the extra fuel tank width,  height or weight...at all. We rode about 90 miles before the fuel guage started to register, expected. We arrived back at base with 115 miles on the odometer with the guage down to the second bar from full. although we didn't run it out, we estimate the trip range, loaded with gear, to be around 200 miles now...way more better. The fuel pump plate gasket showed no signs of leakage and nothing rattled loose...bonus!

When weighed against the costs associated with running out of fuel in the remote forests of Washington...we believe the IMS tank to be a great value at the advertised price. If it saves us from one "bike pushing event", I would say it paid for itself, immeadiately upon installation. Additionally, my wife is no longer concerned about running out of fuel before me...that my friends, is priceless.

Cheers :ride:

• Like 10