Clutch still slipping after rebuild

Long story short, clutches were slipping at high rpm like in any gear WOT. I thought clutches were slipping? I mean it does have 25,000 miles.

I purchased the EBC clutch kit.

When I disassembled the clutches I noticed that it still had the shutter spring. It looks like the spring was grinding on the first friction steels. So I kept the shutter spring in there and put it all back together. Clutch feels better but still slipping like before. So I took it all back apart and took the shutter spring out. Slips exactly the same.

I don't know what to do next. What do y'all think?

Here's pictures of the used clutches I took out? Did it need the shutter spring? Do they look like aftermarket clutches? What to do next?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406072147.021056.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406072160.887836.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406072172.121828.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406072182.237817.jpg

Did you replace the springs too, after measuring all the parts first to see what was beyond service limits?

Did you check the basket and hub for 'grooving'?

Did you confirm the actuation mechanisim works smoothly?

Did you align the pressure plate tih the mark on the hub on installation?

Did you only replace the fibers? Did you soak the new fibers in oil before install?  Were the steel plates still in spec?

I don't know about EBC, but I used a tusk kit on my RMZ450 and it has been great. 55.00 for fibers, steels and springs.

Did you replace the springs too, after measuring all the parts first to see what was beyond service limits?

Did you check the basket and hub for 'grooving'?

Did you confirm the actuation mechanisim works smoothly?

Did you align the pressure plate tih the mark on the hub on installation?

Yes replaced springs.

No I didn't measure parts, it was slipping so I bought a clutch kit.

Yes checked the basket. It wasn't bad at all.

Yes the mechanism works smoothly.

How do I align the pressure plate? I put it back on how I took it off.

Did you only replace the fibers? Did you soak the new fibers in oil before install? Were the steel plates still in spec?

I don't know about EBC, but I used a tusk kit on my RMZ450 and it has been great. 55.00 for fibers, steels and springs.

I soaked for 24 hours. Didn't make any measurements. Figured they were fine since they were quality EBC kits.

Yes.....according to the picture you need the springs. Can't tell if it's OEM or not. Did you install the springs first ? First the flat one, then the other one (with the cupped side facing out) ? If you did the way I described, and still slips than I'm not sure what it could be. Unless pressure plate is badly worn out ? ?

Yes.....according to the picture you need the springs. Can't tell if it's OEM or not. Did you install the springs first ? First the flat one, then the other one (with the cupped side facing out) ? If you did the way I described, and still slips than I'm not sure what it could be. Unless pressure plate is badly worn out ? ?

The "cupped" spring looks like it was rubbing on the first steels. So I kept it on with the new kit.. Still slipping. So then I took the spring out. Slips exactly the same. What do I do?

Yes replaced springs.

No I didn't measure parts, it was slipping so I bought a clutch kit.

Yes checked the basket. It wasn't bad at all.

Yes the mechanism works smoothly.

How do I align the pressure plate? I put it back on how I took it off.

There is a little 'arrow' on the edge of the pressure plate and a coresponding arrow on the hub.

The "cupped" spring looks like it was rubbing on the first steels. So I kept it on with the new kit.. Still slipping. So then I took the spring out. Slips exactly the same. What do I do?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406077736.020521.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406077749.355875.jpg

I don't see a arrow?

Look up.

Where up?

Ok try this.....When installing the last friction plate, offset the plate by one notch in the housing.

Ok try this.....When installing the last friction plate, offset the plate by one notch in the housing.

When you say offset it you mean spin it one notch right?

Like this.

Like this.

I think the plates are too wide to do that

Thats because there is not one and it does not need to be aligned,, just installed.

What do you think my problem Is?

I think you need to measure the fibre plates. The should be 3mm new and with a limit of 2.65mm. Check the steels and pressure plate for warpage.

I think you need to measure the fibre plates. The should be 3mm new and with a limit of 2.65mm. Check the steels and pressure plate for warpage.

This.. But add, assume nothing, start from the beginning, inspect every part of the clutch as if you have never seen it before.

Clutch Maintenance and Inspection
Started by E.MarquezJun 15, 2008 08:39 AM