2 or 4 stroke...

I've always had 2 strokes my last was a 01 yz250 I sold it and to crf450 and did not like it was jus to much pull for me I sold it and events stopped me from riding for bout 10 yrs I wanna start back and leaning towards the 2 stroke but I've seen the ktm 350 what's calls thoughts

I thought a 250 smoker and a 450 4 stroke are somewhat comparable.

What is your budget? $8k for a KTM350?  They are awesome bikes.

2-3k?  get another YZ250.

well im going 2 smoke again seeing as the closest ktm dealer is 3 hrs away now deciding if im goin to yami or zuki

Yamaha they are great bikes

Edited by Dirtshark808

YZ250

Bowaa!

2 smokes, yamamahaw has the engines over suzukis

YZ 250

KTM of your choice. Not a whole lot of other choices out there for 2t.

I'm not going to say pick 2 stroke or 4 stroke because that's your decision. But 4 strokes are a LOT LESS maintenance than 2 strokes. 4 strokes you basically put gas in it and go! Change your oil once a month and clean it after every ride. That's how I did it with my old 4 strokes and they ran strong. 2 strokes on the other hand are more maintenance. Your top ends go out easier than 4 strokes, gas costs more (since you need to mix your gas and oil and need 91 octane or higher), and you need to check the air filter and reeds every so often. Also change your oil after every couple rides. But 2 stroke parts are A LOT cheaper, 2 strokes are more powerful and faster than 4 strokes (depending on the cc your comparing it to), and they sound cooler. I currently have a yz125 and the thing rips. But I hope this helps!

Yamaha Suzuki are trouble.

I'm not going to say pick 2 stroke or 4 stroke because that's your decision. But 4 strokes are a LOT LESS maintenance than 2 strokes. 4 strokes you basically put gas in it and go! Change your oil once a month and clean it after every ride. That's how I did it with my old 4 strokes and they ran strong. 2 strokes on the other hand are more maintenance. Your top ends go out easier than 4 strokes, gas costs more (since you need to mix your gas and oil and need 91 octane or higher), and you need to check the air filter and reeds every so often. Also change your oil after every couple rides. But 2 stroke parts are A LOT cheaper, 2 strokes are more powerful and faster than 4 strokes (depending on the cc your comparing it to), and they sound cooler. I currently have a yz125 and the thing rips. But I hope this helps!

There's plenty of 4T that require way more maintenance than a 2T. You're referring to air cooled, basic 4Ts like a CRF/F or TTR or KLX. Which are about as easy as it gets but lack sophisticated suspension and tend to be a lot heavier than the next step up. Get into the CRF/R/X or YZF/WR or KXF you'll be doing valve checks and oils changes often. Parts are way more expensive than 2T parts. Doing a top end on a 2T takes about the same time as a valve shimming job on a 4T if you need to remove the cam. Mixing oil is not difficult nor is changing the oil in the transmission which you'll have to do on a 4T. 

like all things.... it depends... basic trail riding, motorcross track, cross country/enduro racing. basically, are you riding for fun, practice or race.

Yamaha Suzuki are trouble.

not