Engine studs

Hi guys, one of my engine studs is messing the gasket surface cause it tends to come out when the bolts are torqued,I was thinking about taking them all out and putting screws (my bike has already 2 screws instead of studs, (previous owner))

Do you have a picture? Could you be a bit more specific? Head studs? Cylinder studs?

Head studs

Before you ask. It doesnt leak from that crack. Notice the cylunder surface is not flat becase of the stud pushed out

1406103608117.jpg

The front ones are just like that. Make sure you put them in the right place. The parts fiche will help you decide where the two longer studs go. Put some loctite onto the threads and screw them in using two nuts that counter each other.

The front ones are just like that. Make sure you put them in the right place. The parts fiche will help you decide where the two longer studs go. Put some loctite onto the threads and screw them in using two nuts that counter each other.

This is spot on. Look at the head, two of the holes will have reliefs cut out for the shouldered studs. That should help you to determine if they are in the right places.

Edited by RBI

I mean, the engine only has 3 studs on it and 2 bolts. I want to torque it with 5 bolts since I dont have the remaining 2 studs.

There is a reason why two studs have shoulders. Im no expert but I would assume it is to align the head to the cylinder. That might be why you have sealing issues. Get the correct oem studs, they are cheap. Why try to rig it?

There is a reason why two studs have shoulders. Im no expert but I would assume it is to align the head to the cylinder. That might be why you have sealing issues. Get the correct oem studs, they are cheap. Why try to rig it?

This is good advice.

I mean, the engine only has 3 studs on it and 2 bolts. I want to torque it with 5 bolts since I dont have the remaining 2 studs.

Always use the OEM items. Why would you use less than what Honda manufactured? I dont see a real reason for this.

Cause honda is not the bible and several options may work. Why does wiseco pro x vertex and so on exist if we have oem pistons? I see your point though.

You are comparing apples to oranges. None of the aftermarket suppliers have offered a cylinder or a head with less studs than OEM :)

Anyway, I would buy the studs and go back to OEM spec.

Cause honda is not the bible and several options may work. Why does wiseco pro x vertex and so on exist if we have oem pistons? I see your point though.

For &%$#@!s sake. Go look at how it works. The shouldered studs are the only option if you want your head to sit straight.

To answer your other question about why wiseco, prox, vertex exist....they exist because they offer a product that is the same dimensions as the factory part for less money and/or different quality.

If you can find those studs aftermarket, that have the right dimensions, sure that will work. but why? have you seen the price of oem studs?

Edited by RBI

You are comparing apples to oranges. None of the aftermarket suppliers have offered a cylinder or a head with less studs than OEM :)

Anyway, I would buy the studs and go back to OEM spec.

95% of the time, OEM Honda parts are superior to aftermarket parts.

they are pretty cheap but the problem is the stock, I would have to order them abroad and I thought that bolts could be a fast solution, dont promote the hate!

they are pretty cheap but the problem is the stock, I would have to order them abroad and I thought that bolts could be a fast solution, dont promote the hate!

that stinks. good luck

Give it a try...your scoot!

However, if it fails on the face of a jump or deep in the trail...you were warned.

Going against the design in this case is a bad idea...I don't think you'll get the correct touque values, and if you don't use the correct grade bolt you could get some stretching and the leak will be back.

Your fix is easy, cheap and proper, In most cases jerry-rigging can lead to more work, headaches, time spent and costs.

As you can see none of us would do what your proposing....it's stupid....no hate intended.

But up to you.

what year is your bike?  If you go on RockyMountainATV.com or Motosport both of their sites list under the OEM section if the part is in stock or not, which I'm sure something as simple as this is in stock.

Rockymountain is awesome, you can get something overnighted for $20!!  And there regular shipping over $100 is free and under that only $7, probably take you 2 days to get your studs ....

Well thanks for all the answer so far, The bike was installed 2 bolts by the previous owner who used to take it always to the local mx shop (15 yo with wealthy dad). I have n clue about why they took out 2 of the studs, the cylinder thread is perfect.