Back from my first trip with the XR600R! She dies on me:-(

Well I just got back yesterday from spending 10 days up in Northern Michigan (Kalkaska and Cadillac area) and I brought along my XR600R as there are plenty of trails where I was going to be staying. First time out with this bike and the first time out on a 600cc, only rode 250s before I bought my pig. Started out on some hilly country dirt roads and two tracks just to get a feel for the bike. Did about 30 miles (according to my odometer, but I do question how accurate it is) of that over 2 days. Then went down to Cadillac where I was able to ride two ORV trail systems (Missaukee and Long Lake Trail) and had an absolute blast! Missaukee was very sandy, pretty flat and wasn't really too bad. After being rained out for a day I went out to Long Lake Trail and let me tell you, that trail was fun! Granted this was my first time out on a State trail system (family owned land up north until recently I would ride on) but this trail had a little bit of everything! Sand, dirt, mud, water, hills, some trees down which were fun to get over. I was pretty proud of myself on how I handled the bike out on the trail as I managed to fall twice (lost count of OH S#!T moments) neither of which was I going very fast. First time I was in deep sand at Missaukee and second time was at Long Lake after trying to squeeze between two trees and clipping one. Somebody needs to get out there with a saw because I swear there was no way I could possibly fit between those trees as I clipped it before (going the opposite direction) but managed to maintain control. Overall I had a great time out on the trails!

Then I was on my way home from riding Long Lake a second time...riding along a dirt seasonal road (ORV's are allowed on county roads in this County so I was able to ride from camp to the trails on the XR) and downshifted as I was turning in some deep sand, then my XR stalls out on me. Was a little thrown off as I didnt think I really did anything to cause a stall. Go to kick start and she's not having it. I did notice throughout my trip the XR was difficult to start when she was warm and would have to let the bike sit for a while (5-10 minutes) if I did stall it while out on the trail. Well after a good 15-20 minutes I decided to push her up a hill and try and roll start the XR. IT WORKS!!! So I go back to where my bag and helmet are, start getting my stuff on and it quits running....wait about 5 min. Roll starts again and quits 3-4 seconds later. End up having to call my folks to have them come swoop me up in the truck. As frustrated as I was, I am very glad this didn't happen out on the trail! I was only 15 min or so from camp so it really wasnt too much of a hassle.

I'm thinking it could be the stator as it was getting hard to kick start when warm (electronics hate heat) but this is my first XR so I thought I'd reach out the the TT Nation and see if there could be any other cause to this. I do know the compression is a little low on the bike (winter project) and the kickstarter would stick in the down position when the bike was warm. When the bike was cold it would fire over first or second kick (except the day she quit running, I had to kick the hell out of her for a while before she started) and had no other issues with the bike. I'm assuming a Ricky Stator would be a solid choice if that is indeed the problem, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

trail.jpg

trail1.jpg

trail2.jpg

trail3.jpg

Wanda.jpg

Not just out of gas, are you?

Nice pics, btw. Well composed.

I also ride an xr6 in the Cadillac region.

Cheers!

mr. claws

Time to get out the manual and electrical tester, warm it up until the problem surfaces again and then start testing. Stator, coil, cdi and pulse generator.

Certainly didn't run out of gas. Definitely checked that before posting to save myself the shame haha Have you ride down in Lake Co much? I've checked it out online and would like to go there with a group. Sounds like they have some solid trails.

Yea speaking of a manual...where do I get one? Haha no clue as to what my references are. But does it sound like a stator or electrical issue? It's an 89 xr600r and I'm pretty sure it's the original stator.

If I was/were a bettin' man...stator

Certainly didn't run out of gas. Definitely checked that before posting to save myself the shame haha Have you ride down in Lake Co much? I've checked it out online and would like to go there with a group. Sounds like they have some solid trails.

Yea speaking of a manual...where do I get one? Haha no clue as to what my references are. But does it sound like a stator or electrical issue? It's an 89 xr600r and I'm pretty sure it's the original stator.

Ebay. Or you can search this forum and i guarantee you will find the testing procedures for each part. I only have manuals for 87 and older xr6's and while the electrical is probably the same, i dont want to misdirect you.

First go over ALL the wire connetions was just a post about a XL600 and it was one wire to CDI!

First go over ALL the wire connetions was just a post about a XL600 and it was one wire to CDI!

Good to know! Thanks everyone for the input!

It wouldn't run at all if the stator was bad. I had one blow out on me on an old Yamaha mid trail (nightmare). If the problem is occurring intermittently, I'd say either a loose Connection or could be fuel related. Maybe a clogged pilot jet. Cheers

For 1988 xr6:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406226254.294905.jpg

Sweet! Thank you sir!

Yup, check for loose, dirt connections. Sounds like the coil might be south on you. That repair manual has saved me lots of time. Good Luck.