Sign in to follow this  

05 230F running rich

Been trying to iron out the jetting issues plaguing my 230 since I bought it. Ran good for awhile, but hesitated when I'd hit the throttle from low revs. I installed the power up needle, uncorked the Airbox and exhaust, plus going to the recommended 132 main and middle clip on the needle. It would die the second I hit the throttle unless I very carefully rolled on and it ran crazy rich, so rich that it couldn't even reach the rev limiter. My current setup is:

112 main

42 pilot

Power up needle 2nd clip from top

Fuel screw 1 5/8 turns out

Float level is stock

Bike no longer hesitates off idle but runs extremely rich and breaks up midrange. Anybody have any hints to help me get it running right? I'm selling it and don't want to lose money on a simple jetting issue.

Search Mike Coe jetting specs, do as stated, then you will be on the road to recovery.

Next, properly adjust the engine valves (Cold engine)

also, replace the spark plug with a new, proper NGK plug and throughly clean the air filter and re-oil with quality foam Air filter oil.

Make sure the engine oil level is not over full. (Bike level side to side and on level ground) drain out enough to not be over full.

Then warm it up and ride it hard,

Then do not shut off engine until you adjust idle mixture screw for fastest idle speed, then reset idle speed adjuster to idle the way you like it.

It's important to do the mixture adjustment quickly before engine gets over heated. So put a fan blowing on engine and have your fan and tools you need out and ready to go in advance.

Then go ride it hard again.....

Chances are, maybe, you won't want to sell it any more?

Good luck

Let us all know how it turns out, if any problems after that give us the problems/symptoms, we can throw out some more ideas for you to try based on the details that you describe to us.

Edited by adnohguy

Can I advise to check the small membrane located in the opposite carb side too? Near the choke lever. Is called air cut off valve. When this is broken the mixture is running rich.

I have already had this problem too

Search Mike Coe jetting specs, do as stated, then you will be on the road to recovery.

Next, properly adjust the engine valves (Cold engine)

also, replace the spark plug with a new, proper NGK plug and throughly clean the air filter and re-oil with quality foam Air filter oil.

Make sure the engine oil level is not over full. (Bike level side to side and on level ground) drain out enough to not be over full.

Then warm it up and ride it hard,

Then do not shut off engine until you adjust idle mixture screw for fastest idle speed, then reset idle speed adjuster to idle the way you like it.

It's important to do the mixture adjustment quickly before engine gets over heated. So put a fan blowing on engine and have your fan and tools you need out and ready to go in advance.

Then go ride it hard again.....

Chances are, maybe, you won't want to sell it any more?

Good luck

Let us all know how it turns out, if any problems after that give us the problems/symptoms, we can throw out some more ideas for you to try based on the details that you describe to us.

thanks. Just adjusted the valves, and the fuel screw is now 1 1/2 turns. I looked at Coe's specs and it wants the 03-05 needle 4th clip from top, 120 main, and 48 pilot for sea level specs. I ride between 1100-2000 feet. Anything I should change? The needle that came on my bike stock is marked D629 Edited by IacobucciB